Notices

Vienna vs. Budapest

Old Oct 1st, 2007, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vienna vs. Budapest

I know a Prague, Vienna, and Budapest vacation would be ideal. Unfortunately I was not able to get two weeks off work, and I think doing all three in 7 days is a bit much. Therefore I need to make a decision; should I go to Vienna or should I go to Budapest? I have never been to either city or either country. I am also going to be traveling alone.

Suggestions?
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 08:09 AM
kja

What kinds of things do you hope or like to do when you travel?
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 08:27 AM

sacher torte vs goulash
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 08:38 AM

I did Prague, Vienna, and Budapest solo in 2005. I thought Vienna was very pleasant, easy to get around, a nice place to visit. But I found it a tad dull. (I'm not an opera person or a museum person, so if you are, that may change your opinion from mine.) I had just come from Prague, which I found magical. I went to Budapest after Vienna. Budapest I found much more exotic, interesting, but challenging (much larger than Vienna I assume). Budapest sure has more sweeping views, of Pest high from from the Buda side, the parliament building and the bridge by the Danube, etc.

I'd probably go back to Budapest; I'm sure I didn't see everything. Vienna I certainly wouldn't avoid, but I didn't leave feeling I'd missed anything and I had only two nights there. All subjective opinion, of course.
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 08:54 AM

People ask this question on here a lot, actually, if you read some prior posts. I think the answers are usually Prague for sure, and then some people like Vienna and some do not (and prefer Budapest). I am the the latter camp, I didn't find Vienna that scintillating, and I do like museums and classical music. I am not a big opera buff, but I don't think that has anything whatsoever to do with it as PRague probably has more opera than Vienna.

It's just personal opinion, no one will be able to decide for you, unfortunately. You'll have to read some guidebooks and choose based on what feels right for you and your interests and which appeals the most.