Vienna to Padua Questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2015, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This July we will be making our/my annual pilgrimage to Italy by way of Vienna. At first we thought to fly from Vienna to Venice and then a bus to Padua, but the discount airlines fly at ugly times and the major carriers are hugely expensive. So, we next thought about a night train in a sleeper car. I thought it would be a neat experience, but my wife has motion sickness problems. The next idea came to either a day train to Mestre Venice or a car. So, we've narrowed it down to the day train or a car. The reason I want to go to Mestre is because we could transit to Padua in either a bus or limo than from Venice Santa Lucia. With a car we could go straight to Padua, which would make the entire journey easier. Money wise, the dollars are not too far apart. Your thoughts, comments?

Buon viaggio,
Old Feb 1st, 2015, 06:48 AM

Have you checked flying to Bologna and taking a train to Padova? Austria Airlines flies to Bologna. Nice flight. I've taken it. It is very easy to get from the airport to the train station. Even a taxi is cheap. Trains run frequently and should be about 1.45 mins, maybe less.
Old Feb 1st, 2015, 07:17 AM

Actually, I just looked and there are fast trains between Bologna and Padova that get you there in slightly less than an hour, and leave hourly. Fares appear to be about 20e per person, undiscounted. Taxi from the airport is under 20e usually, and takes 20 minutes. Airport shuttle bus is about 6e per ticket, and takes longer (makes some stops).
Old Feb 1st, 2015, 07:31 AM

You should also check Austrian Airlines between Vienna and Milan, because it might be a cheaper flight -- although it will be more expensive to get from Milan airport to Padova (and longer too).
Old Feb 2nd, 2015, 01:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your input.