Vienna to Munich by Train

Jan 16th, 1999, 07:08 PM
Yvonne

Vienna to Munich by Train

We are taking a bicycle tour from Deggendorf to Vienna in May. We will need to get back to Munich to fly home. How reasonable is it to get back to Munich by train? We will also have a few days in Munich, any suggestions of "must sees"?

Jan 16th, 1999, 08:58 PM
Bob Brown

You can leave Vienna, West Bahnhof at 8:50 and get to Munich about 4:45 later.
There are no changes of train on this run. Other than the non stop trains, there are numerous trains during the day between the two cities. Just be sure you leave from the West Bahnhof.
As for must sees in Munich, I will leave that to more veteran posters than I. I spent 5 days there once, but other than the usual sights of the Rathaus clock, drinking beer at the Hofbrauhaus, and Nymphenburg Palace and Gardens, and the art museum, I don't recall anything much of 5-star interest, except a great performance of Die Fledermaus. I know others can fill you in much better.

The train schedule is available from the
Deutsche Bahn AG website. It is comprehensive and thorough, and it is in English if you don't want to read the German.

Jan 17th, 1999, 08:40 PM
Linda

The German rail site is http://bahn.hafas.de Be sure to use Wien for Vienna. We took a day trip to Berchtsgaten (Hitler's Eagle's Nest) & Rothenburg is close (on Romantic Road)

Jan 27th, 1999, 04:37 PM
victoria

For point-to-point tickets, say from Munich to Salzburg, is it cheaper to buy in Europe? Price quote I got from DER Travel in US was $47 (1st class) or $32 (2nd class)... Should I wait and get the ticket in Munich?

Jan 28th, 1999, 08:54 AM
Al

Yes, buy your ticket in Europe and use your credit card for cheapest exchange rates. You may decide to pay the small extra fee for a reserved seat; the Vienna-Munich run is often crowded. You may also decide to get off at Salzburg and explore that city before getting back on and proceeding to Munich. It is about half-way between V. and M. Stay in the old city, across the river from the train station -- see Mozart's birthplace, the narrow streets, the great churches, and take the funicular railway up to the Festung (fortress) for breathtaking views.