Reload this Page >

Northern Germany

Search

Northern Germany

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 1999, 01:41 PM
stephanie

Northern Germany

My husband and I saw southern Germany - Bavaria - 5 years ago and he wants to go back (with our 2 small kids!) only to the northern part of Germany. I loved Bavaria so much can't imagine N. part being as good. Any comments on travel to Northern Germany and suggestions on what not to miss would be appreciated. Someone add something to make me think that I should pack our bags immediately and hardly be able to wait! (Not that I have to be coaxed to go to Europe!) Thanks!

Old Jan 26th, 1999, 01:58 PM
Bob Brown

I lived in Hamburg and Kiel, total of 11 months. There are some interesting things to see around Kiel and Hamburg. In fact there were some postings about Hamburg which the search vehicle should reveal, so I will not be redundant. But frankly, I would wait for more hours of daylight than what you would have right now. <BR>

Old Jan 26th, 1999, 06:37 PM
Wes Fowler

Stephanie, <BR>Northern Germany has a great deal to offer, much of it underappreciated and also underinfested with tourists. The old part of Bremen is stunning with a magnificent 14th century town hall (Rathaus) with an intriguing cellar restaurant. The Ratskeller is immense with the walls lined with tables easily seating 20 people; tables are separated by immense barrels. The children, if they've heard the story of the five Bremen musicians will be delighted by the stature of them adjacent to the town hall. Worpswede, a small town in the peat bogs north of Bremen is a fascinating artists colony. Many of the beaches of northern Germany are superb; caution, though; some are for nudists. The cities of Lubeck and Kassel offer interesting diversity, particularly Kassel. You won't be disappointed.

Old Jan 27th, 1999, 07:20 PM
Kristin Lucas

Don't forget Berlin. We spent two great days there last spring -- combination of the old and the new -- the east and the west. Also Wittenberg is a must see if you have any interest in Martin Luther. English language services on Sat. nights in the churches where he preached. Also Leipzig is great for Bach fans. The St. Thomas Kirche still has the choir he started (different singers, of course!) and they give free concerts each week. I realize these are somewhat specialized interests. <BR>

Old Jan 27th, 1999, 08:50 PM
Joyce

Stephanie, My favorite part of N. Germany is Berlin. We have been there the last 2 springs, the crowds are thin and the weather not too cool. There is a lot of construction updating the East but so much history. The TV tower offers an awesome view of the city and the difference between the E.& W. is very evident still. My favorite place is standing under the Brandenburg Gate it is chilling. Have a wonderful trip!

Old Jan 28th, 1999, 02:48 PM
Linda

I agree with Berlin--a most incredible city. The Checkpoint Charlie Museum, Potsdam, Reichstag, Brandeburg Gate, museum with entire ancient ruin, Infobox, Templehof Airfield, Olympic Stadium--so much history & beauty. The people are friendly & it is less expensive than Bavaria. Other good stops are Hamelin (Pied Piper fame), Dresden (2 hrs. south of Berlin). Prague, Czech Republic, is only 4 1/2 hrs. from Berlin, 2 1/2 hrs. from Dresden.