Vienna in December

Search

Vienna in December

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2023, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vienna in December

Four of us are going to Vienna for the Christmas markets. We have all been there at least once before but never to visit the markets.

We‘d like to stay somewhere fairly central with good public transportation access so we can easily get to/from the markets. Any suggestions for what part of town?

We’re also considering a day trip or two via train to other markets. Any suggestions ?

Many thanks

Old Jun 21st, 2023, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

Anyone?
Old Jun 21st, 2023, 07:18 PM

Please read my Vienna trip report from our trip in December 2019 found under my Janeyre name. I’d highly recommend Hotel Austria. You will love the Christmas markets in Vienna as well as all the indoor sights.
Old Jun 23rd, 2023, 06:02 PM

I haven't been there for the Christmas markets since 1988 but a nice day trip which I have done in summer is the train out to Melk to see the abbey. It's really amazing and the town is cute.

Lavandula
Old Jun 24th, 2023, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to both of you
Old Jun 24th, 2023, 06:56 AM

We also stayed in Hotel Austria last November and really liked it a lot. Fabulous breakfast, great location. Rooms are comfortable though not fancy. But the people at the front desk are wonderful and very helpful.
Old Jun 24th, 2023, 07:59 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
And here's a third shout out for the Hotel Austria though I think that we stayed there before either Progol or Janeyre. [and yes I know it's not a competition, lol].
Old Jun 24th, 2023, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

Wow. What an endorsement. I will check out Hotel Austria
Old Jun 24th, 2023, 03:34 PM

A friend and I stayed in an Airbnb in December 2019. It was located in what I think is the Embassy District. We took the tram, bus, and walked everywhere we wanted to go. We made a point to visit as many Christmas markets as possible. My favorites were the Rathausplatz Christkindlmarkt, Art Advent Christmas Market at Karlskirche, and the market outside of Schonbrunn palace. A few other markets we went to around the city felt a little redundant in vendors, but still, they are all so fun and beautiful.

I know Salzburg is NOT a day trip from Vienna, but wow, what a gorgeous Christmas market experience they have there, especially if you are local and can buy the fresh greenery wreaths and decorations made from dried orange slices, cinnamon sticks, and dried greenery.

Have a wonderful trip!
Old Jun 25th, 2023, 01:38 PM

Received 42 Likes on 2 Posts
I stayed at Hotel AM Stephanplatz right across from St Stephan's and the metro was right outside. It was the last week of Nov/first week of Dec. I believe there is a Christmas market there but it wasn't up yet when I was there. I liked that area but the hotel does require a min night stay as my friend was only staying for 2 nights and couldn't stay there. This same friend ended up getting stationed for work a few blocks away and it was the same metro stop. They provided black out curtains, and the church bells didn't bother me so I would stay there again. The breakfast room gave a view of the Cathedral.