Vienna Hotel: Please Help Me Decide

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2005, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for a place to stay in Vienna for 4 days, and reading through many posts, I have narrowed it down to these 3: Pension Columbia, Ruthensteiner Hostel, and Pertschy Pension. The hostel doesn't have a single room-single bed option, so I am not sure if it would be a good option for me. I am not looking for a big fancy hotel: my goal is to have a comfortable bed in a centrally located hotel with a price range between 50-75Euro, preferrably with breakfast included. Any suggestions/tips or pro's and con's of the 3 places I have listed above? Thanks!
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 02:11 PM

I am also looking for modest Vienna accomodations in September and will follow your thread ....
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 02:50 PM

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Pension Pertschy. Spent 3 days there last May, and enjoyed it very much. We had a spotless, huge bedroom/semi suite, with a nice sized bathroom. Buffet breakfast was generous,and the staff was very nice.

A short story - I received a parking ticket when we parked across the street, in front of a small grocery store, for all of 10 minutes to unload our bags and check-in (the hotel has no parking area of its own, and there was absolutely no place else to stop). Apparently, the owner of the store had called the police to complain that my car was in front of his business. One of the front desk clerks, a very kind young lady whose name I've forgotten, called the police station for 2 days until she reached the officer, explained the situation to him, and was able to get the ticket cancelled.

The location is perfect ... 3 minutes walk from the Hofburg and the center of town.
Looking at their website, their prices for a single may be a shade higher than your range for the main season, but it's worth a few extra Euro. I would definitely stay there again.
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 04:25 PM
Original Poster

LarryM, thank you for your recommendation. Did you book it through the hotel directly? How far is it from the train station? (I will be taking the train to get to Vienna from Prague, and continue my trip to Budapest).
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 07:00 PM

Second Pension Pertschy. I stayed twice (on the way and back from Czech) February 2005, pleasant rooms and central location, booked through their web site. However, room on the forth floor was newer and nicer than the one on first floor.

Train from Prague arrives at Vienna Sudbahnhof, local S-1(or 2,3 and 15) one stop changes to U1(underground) to Stephanspl, takes about 15 minutes.

Train from Vienna to Budapest departs from Westbahnhof, direct U3 takes less than 10 minutes.

From Stephanspl. U-bahn station to the Pension takes about 5 minutes on foot.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 09:39 AM

I also booked through Pension Pertschy's website.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 10:41 AM

I third Pension Pertschy. We stayed there in February last year and really enjoyed our stay. The rooms were fairly large and clean, but better yet the location is terrific. A short walk to the Graben, St. Stephens (and its metro stop), and the Hofburg.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I booked a room with Perstchy, and I got their 4 for 3 deal package. It comes out to be about 85 Euro which was higher than what I had wanted to pay, but I just found out that I could stay with my friend in Berlin for free, so I am even