vienna-bratislave-budapest train

Dec 29th, 2005, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

vienna-bratislave-budapest train

My husband and I are going to take a train from vienna to bratislava in early June, then bratislava to budapest. Is it ok to purchase the tickets when i get to vienna? Should i reserve the tickets online in advance, which cost a premium? I've bought tickets in other parts of europe same day with no problems but we have never been to Austria. Thanks in advance.
Dec 29th, 2005, 05:40 PM

In June even if you are leaving the same day upon arriving Vienna, it should be all right to buy tickets in Vienna as the trains run almost hourly from Sudbahnhof (except few from Westbahnhof).
Dec 29th, 2005, 05:40 PM

I took a train from Vienna to Budapest last fall and bought it the day before - but reservations weren't required. My ticket would have worked on any train between the two cities for a certain period of time, and I could have bought it just before departure if need be. I don't think it cost more buying at the last minute but I can't be entirely sure. I imagine you would be fine buying your train tickets once you get over there.

Andrew
Dec 30th, 2005, 11:53 AM

Did this trip in May 2004 and booked the tickets in Vienna the day before - no problem and train was not completely full - which leads me to think that it would have been fine booking on the day. We did Vienna-Buda-Brat-Vienna. For the Brat-Vienna leg we rented a car to take us. We costed taxi-train, train, taxi-hotel and compared it to a car from door to door and for the two of us decided that the small extra amount was worth it - we could leave when we wanted and knew it woudl be door to door with the hastle of moving cases.
Dec 30th, 2005, 02:40 PM

I have travelled on both these routes.

Vienna to Bratislava is 56 minutes. Would you reserve from, say, New York to New Haven, Connecticut?

The Bratislava to Budapest route is about 2.5 hours -- the times I took that train (mid-week, winter) it was 3/4 empty.

Relax, enjoy.