Search

Vicenza or Treviso?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2007, 07:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vicenza or Treviso?

Hi

We are spending a week in an apartment in Venice and want to take a day trip by train. We looked at Verona, but the trip takes too long.

We considered Padova, but there aren't great train times for us.

Both Vicenza and Treviso have loads of trains. and take about a half hour each way.

I will do some reading, but does anyone have experiece with these towns, or another that is interesting and very easy to get to from Venice?

We have seen a lot of Venice and will also be visiting the islands of the Lagoon, in answer to any suggestions that we do so.

We just want one day trip into the Veneto. We could use some help.
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 08:17 PM

I've been to Vicenza, I went with a Palladio fan, if you have an interest in Renaissance architecture it is a great place to visit. In particular, Palladio's Teatro Olimpico is well worth a visit. Villa Rotonda the most famous Palladio villa is also in Vicenza, it wasn't open to the public when I went. I believe they filmed Amadeus there.

There are also two villas open to the public, one is called Villa Valmarana I can't remember the other one but they are close together. One I recall has a totally over the top Tiepolo fresco of a horse and chariot seen from below with the horse shown in graphic anatomical detail.

Old Jun 29th, 2007, 07:55 AM

I don't understand the trouble with trains to Padova--looks like there are departures at least every 30 minutes. I believe there's also a frequent bus to Padova. It's even closer to Venice than Vicenza.

My experience with Vicenza is that it's all about Palladio, so sights may be of limited interest.

Padova for me has a wider variety of sights, both municipal, artistic, and religious.

Can't help with Treviso.
Old Jun 29th, 2007, 10:07 AM

Have been to Vicenza not to Treviso.

If you have an interest in architecture then Vicenza might work for you. Villa Rotunda is not in Vicenza itself, but is in the nearby country side. If you decide to do the architecture thing in Vicenza, one of Palladio's intown villas is dedicated to explaining the villas and the ideas behind them. I my opinion, that location is the best starting point (but I can't remember the name).
Old Jun 29th, 2007, 11:18 AM

Was in both places a few months ago, but Tuscan, I'm telling you, trains leave on the hour and half hour to Padova, and it only takes 30 minutes to get there as well-you will be missing truly the art city of art cities with Padova-Giotto! St. Anthony's the Duomo, of course the Capella Scrovegni-too much to see!
Stunning, and the walkability of the city, its historic Gran Caffe Pedrocchi a great stop to relax, watch the locals, and take Padova in, half-way through the middle of town. I STRONGLY suggest Padova, but if not, either of the two cities is fine, but I think I prefer the grand architecture marvels of Vicenza, a very wealthy city, over Treviso (also wealthy, but not quite as grand).
Old Jun 30th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

You know, I was having a hellish week and I think I made a mistake on the train times Venice <> Padua.

I guess Padova it is. Thanks
Old Jun 30th, 2007, 03:19 PM

I'm glad to hear that, Tuscan! You'll have to come back and give your impressions of this most gorgeous art city. Honestly, I don't understand why this city is not overrun with tourists, there is just SO MUCH ART and other sights to enjoy. Not to mention the Palladian villas just outside the city. I know there has been an agreement signed between Venice-Padova to promote Padova and take some of the tourist load off of Venice, which would be a good thing. Of all the cities in the Veneto, (besides Venice) Padova is clearly my favorite, although each one of these 3 cities has stunning artwork and architecture. But it is Padova, rather than his native Florence, where Giotto's most amazing work can be found. I found this Wikipedia article very informative on Padua, and you can go to the separate links for all the sights that are described:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Padua
Old Jun 30th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

Girlspytravel:

Thanks for the link. I have been reading about Padua this evening as I was before.

I had been overmedicated, and I was confused and befuddled. I made mistakea at my business, and screwed up a few things.

I'm beginning to feel just a little better, but kind of stressed over medication issues.

Anyway, I don't know where I got the idea that there were lousy train times to Padova.

This has been scary. Anyway, thanks loads to those who gave responses, and I will continue to learn about Padova.
Old Jun 30th, 2007, 06:08 PM

Hope you feel better, Tuscan-you will love Padova, and it is closer and easier to get to than Vicenza, which would be my second choice.
Old Jun 30th, 2007, 07:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi tuscan, I hope you feel better soon. I'm sure that you will enjoy Padova. We did not visit there, but just had lunch in Treviso and stayed overnight in Vicenza. I really enjoyed Vicenza. The Teatro Olympica was fascinating. The anatomically correct horse that Susan7 mentioned is in a museum very near the Teatro (and it was also fascinating!)My DH is am architect so we were very interested in the Palladian buildings and villas and they did not disappoint.