new rules carry on baggage

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2007, 08:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After reading previous posts here, I checked with my airlines from the U.S. to Europe and within Europe. KLM rules via Northwest, and AlItalia rules via their website and on the phone gave the very very bad news. One carry on only (not one small piece of luggage plus purse) only one piece, and...it has to weigh less than 5 kilos,= 11 pounds!! Putting heavy things in your jacket or pants pocket might help, but now very much. I suggest that if you are two people traveling, that your checked bags be divided between items for each of you, so if one gets lost, at least you will have some clothes from the other.
Old May 31st, 2007, 09:02 PM
rex

Oh no, say it ain't so!
Old May 31st, 2007, 09:15 PM

It is as so many posts on here have already indicated - check back there have been at least 100 posts on this

Old Jun 1st, 2007, 07:32 PM

This post is confusing--I have just checked NW, UA, and DL airlines and all of them say: 1 carry-on and list the dimensions and weight plus one item of a personal nature (purse, laptop, etc.)Because we will fly Croatian Airlines in Sept. I checked them, and their rules are similar.

It is also noted on the various airline sites that flights through London Airports permit only one carry-on bag and everything must be in it--purse, laptop, etc. These items can be removed after Security and then carried on the plane separately.

My friend just flew back through Heathrow within the last couple days and what I mentioned above re: one carryon was the case for her.

Earlier this Spring, I had read that rules similar to the British ones were to be enacted at all European Airportsin April. Later, this was changed to November. Unless there has been some announcement that I missed, I assume that the later date is true. Ciao. mhm
Old Jun 1st, 2007, 07:45 PM

Here is the site describing KLM's policy, which hasn't changed ... still 12 kg and if from the US you can still bring on the 2nd laptop or purse sized bag. Last time we flew them (couple of months ago from AMS to Tanzania) we had no problems with a 2nd bag, everyone on the flights was allowed two bags (not just first/biz class). The exception is flights to/from England, where the one-and-only-one bag is strictly enforced.
http://www.klm.com/travel/nl_en/trav...ance/index.htm

If there is a new policy could someone post a link to the URL?

Bill
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 04:04 AM
rex

Thank you, Bill H.
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 04:32 AM

We flew on Malev Airlines (Hungarian) in March and April and their rules were one carry on only - no extra purse allowed. I put my purse in the carry-on and took it out on the airplane. Guess it all depends onthe airline.
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 04:39 AM

We just returned from Frankfurt this week on American Airlines. We were allowed the standard one carry on item and one personal item, such as a purse or laptop.
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 01:53 PM

I just spoke with Alitalia and the carry on does have to weigh less than 11 pounds, but they said that if your originating airport/airline (JFK for us) allowed a purse or briefcase then the airline would honor that in the country for transfers. Because we are leaving and returning to the US, they assured us we were allowed to have the one carry on plus the purse. We spoke with two representatives for the airline. They said that they knew this was not posted on their website. Hope this helps.
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 01:59 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Now you just have to hope the desk agents also know that -
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 03:29 PM
rex

For what it's worth, flights traveling on "NWA metal" are not even subject to a weight restriction, just the linear dimensions apply to carry-on luggage, according to this web page:

http://www.nwa.com/travel/luggage/carryon.html

When all is said and done, my first reading of this post caused me a lot of anxiety. A review of the NWA rules on the NWA web site shoulda/coulda been my first anxiety reliever.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 03:41 PM

The airlines have rules and the AIRPORT security people also have rules. You have to hope that they are on the "same page."

We just returned from Athens and several flights within Greece, using Delta, Olympic, and Aegean.

We were allowed through security with a carry-on bag plus a "personal item"...like a purse or backpack.

But I understand that flights to the UK on UK airlines and all airlines out of the UK are different...only ONE carry-on item per passenger.

But so many of the rules are confusing, and many times it also depends on the gate personnel and their own interpretation of the rules.
Old Jun 30th, 2007, 03:21 PM

No one EVER checked the weight or size of our baggage. I hate to report all the things I went without due to the regulations. Trust me, no one cares how much or what you carry on on Alitalia!
Old Jun 30th, 2007, 03:30 PM

Just returned from Europe. I took a number of flights with a few different airlines. On all airlines and through all security I had 1 carry-on and a purse. At security I put the carry-on on the conveyor belt and my purse and ziploc of liquids in a bin then on the coveyor. I had no problems anywhere.
Old Jun 30th, 2007, 08:02 PM

Just flew back from PPT. They allow the zip-lock bag also...but want it neat looking!!
My bag was n't neat looking but the security folks could care less...