Vespa/Scooter to Chianti from Florence

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2nd, 2016, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys! My boyfriend and I will be in Florence from March 13-16 and would love to take a day trip to the Chianti wine region via vespa/scooter. I've done some research and I stumbled on a tour company (Tuscany Vespa Tours) who's got some great views that offer a 7-hour day trip to Chianti, however, it's a bit pricy (more than $200 for couple) and we kind of wanted to do the trip to Chianti on our own time/pace. I've had some experience riding scooters when visiting Thailand and I feel quite comfortable riding to Chianti because I hear the roads are quite spacious (but correct me if I'm wrong...these are comments I've read online)...my only concern is getting to Chianti without getting lost. Are the roads to Chianti easy to navigate? I won't have a gps since I normally turn the data off on my phone to avoid international charges so we'll have to use an old fashion map lol...I would appreciate any suggestions from anyone who have some info that can help with my trip! I truly appreciate it!
Old Jul 2nd, 2016, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

***My only concern is getting to Chianti AND getting lost*** EDIT
Old Jul 2nd, 2016, 07:49 AM

Rain could be a concern. Some people are too fearful to ride a Vespa in Florence and rightfully so. The accident rate among tourists is quite high. A lot depends on the day and time of your departure and return.

The ordinary SS roads to Chianti shouldn't pose much problem. They're single-lane, smooth asphalt. If you don't drive fast enough, Italian males will want to pass you. If you use Street View, you can view almost any route in Google Maps. This a great way to study the various routes you may wish to take.

The signage is good, especially if you study the towns and route before you go. If you study well, you shouldn't have to get lost. It's easy to stop, pull over, and refer to a printed map. IMO, Google provides the easiest-to-read road maps these days. But you'll need additional software to get good print quality.

I love riding a Vespa, but some people call me crazy and fearless.
Old Jul 2nd, 2016, 07:55 AM

Make sure you have health insurance cover, and that it doesn't exclude such activities as renting scooters when abroad - some regard it as a dangerous sport/activity and so exclude it.
It is highly unlikely anything would happen to make you need the insurance but better safe than sorry.
Old Jul 2nd, 2016, 07:55 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...e_Tuscany.html

Read this first. I would do the tour to Chianti myself. I can ride a motorcycle so not any fear there but taking the wrong roads does get make me uneasy. There are three locations for rentals, see which one is the easiest location to get in and out of the city. This one guy said his 40 dollar rental turned into mega bucks from taking the same wrong road three times.
Old Jul 2nd, 2016, 09:08 AM

Last time I was in Florence there must have been a gazillion Vespas everywhere. All parking spaces taken by Vespas, more Vespas than cats it seemed like.
Old Jul 2nd, 2016, 09:09 AM

Cats!! Haha meant to type CARS!!
Old Jul 2nd, 2016, 09:18 AM

DH and I travelled throughtout England on Mopeds one year. We were able to take side roads without a lot of big trucks and fast cars whizzing past us. We rode in heavy rain and collected rain gear as we went along. It was fun but we were much younger and adventurous in those days. I recommend a helmet with a plastic face protector otherwise you'll end up with bugs in your teeth!
Old Jul 2nd, 2016, 09:46 AM

Yes, there are a lot of Vespas in the Florence urban areas, but you will find few of them as you exit the urban area. Roads in hilly areas can easily get dangerous for Vespas, especially in bad weather. You can even find the boys going to seaside places like Viareggio with their Vespas, but it is a never ending chore better reserved to teenagers.
Old Jul 2nd, 2016, 10:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Low temps at that time of year would discourage me. Rain would seal the deal.

The tour probably includes a stop or two at wineries, lunch, etc. If you DIY, you'd have to make your own appointments at wineries. Have you priced renting the vespas on your own?
Old Jul 2nd, 2016, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

Thank you guys for all the tips and information! A lot of comments seem to say that riding a Vespa around on your own is a bit of a "dangerous" activity so if we were to do it I would rather do it with a group who can safely get us there and back...like most of you said better safe than sorry. When we road scooters in Thailand we only did it an areas such as Kho Phangan where traffic isn't as big of an issue...but getting out of Florence may be a bit tricky...on the other hand just in case we decide to take a different form of transportation to Chianti would you guys recommend the bus and maybe rent bicycles around to enjoy the countryside?
Old Jul 2nd, 2016, 05:57 PM

The hill towns are that - on top of hills. And the roads are quite narrow, winding ones, often with limited shoulders. And locals will definitely want to go faster than you will/can.

You could not pay me to do this on a Vespa. Perhaps a real motorcycle if you are an expert rider - but IMHO Vespas are underpowered for this and the chance of bad weather (chilly and or rainy) is too high to count on this.
Old Jul 3rd, 2016, 04:15 AM

Traffic in Florence is nothing like traffic in Thailand. Florence is organized, and tourism is down in late Winter-early Spring. Still, I would want to avoid weekday rush hour.

March and April can bring extreme rain to Tuscany. The rain is what gives the land its amazing color. Fierce storms with high winds can pop up out of nowhere. It can also rain for days.

Relying on a Vespa as a mode of touring transportation in such a short window of time is not what I would call practical planning. The safest, most convenient way to see the country, especially if it rains, is by car.

Tuscany is hugely popular with bicycle tours. I'm amazed every time I see a group struggling with those hills. Inevitably, I see a lot of women walking their bikes as their male partners drive ahead. That's not for me.

For stamina and endurance, the hill towns present a very specific challenge to the bicyclist. However, it's important to know the SS roads in Tuscany are rarely flat or straight. On Tuscany's winding roads, many drivers find it difficult to stay in their lane. The speed demons take a lot of risk by passing you in short stretches.

I've encountered many tour groups struggling to get from one location to another on a bike. But no matter the struggle, every bicycler I've talked to says they love the experience. When it rains, I don't see them.
Old Jul 3rd, 2016, 04:32 AM

OP said "...A lot of comments seem to say that riding a Vespa around on your own is a bit of a "dangerous" activity so if we were to do it I would rather do it with a group who can safely get us there and back...like most of you said better safe than sorry..."

Sorry, but being in a group won't necessarily make traveling on a vespa any safer. Accidents can happen anytime, anywhere and have no regard for how many or how few people are traveling with you.

All the caveats have been mentioned in the previous responses - no it's up to you to decide yea or nay!
Old Jul 3rd, 2016, 05:01 AM

It sounds as thought the only experience you have on a scooter/ motorbikes is few rides in Thailand - congratulations on your surviving - many don't. Do you have motorcycle license? If not, I doubt any reputable agency will rent you a Vespa anyway.

Being in a group will not reduce your risk in the slightest. In fact being surrounded with inexperienced riders on unfamiliar roads will increase your risk considerably.

Do you have full protective gear? If not falling off a scooter in shorts and tee shirts is something you only experience once - somewhat akin to sliding down a giant cheese grater naked!
Old Jul 3rd, 2016, 05:55 AM

<i><font color=#555555>"Do you have motorcycle license?"</font></i>

If you're from the U.S., a state Driver's License and an International Driver's Permit from AAA is what Italian law requires. Be prepared for hefty holds on the credit card and insurance packages that are the equivalent of a house mortgage.

<i><font color=#555555>"falling off a scooter in shorts and tee shirts"</font></i>

I've never seen anyone in Tuscany, including tourists, wear shorts and tee shirts in the month of March. Most people are still wearing winter clothing.
Old Jul 3rd, 2016, 06:57 AM

Last time we were in San Gimignano we encountered a women's motor cycling group--very experienced in the states. They were lamenting the loss of two of their group who were in an accident earlier in the day blaming it on slippery surfaces--wet roads. I'd be very wary of the practice--new terrain, unfamiliar equipment and challenging surfaces--a recipe for disaster. And this is not the first horror story we've witnessed i.e. the couple who went over the guard rail along the Amalfi Coast!
Old Jul 3rd, 2016, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I'm definitely now looking into renting a car instead of renting a Vespa.
Old Jul 3rd, 2016, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

With that being said do you guys have any suggestions on where to rent a car in Florence that is outside the city center where we can pick up a car and get on the road to Chianti right away and avoiding all the ZTL lanes? If so, what street and which company? Thank you guys again!
Old Jul 4th, 2016, 08:25 AM

Try Autoeuropa.com for rental options. Its not cheap for a one day rental with p/u and return--$120+. There are 3 p/u locations which are possible for exit from Florence and avoiding the ZTL(one is in the ZTL). The airport is the safest and best for return as well as pick up.

We're very familiar with the Via Borgo Ognissanti 137/r location(downtown) and have picked up and exited Florence numerous times without violations but it is not recommended as a return location. I'm not familiar with the Via Del Sansovino 53 location which is on the east side of Florence.

Car travel in Chianti is great and there are many places to visit but it all takes time and there are mid-day closures of shops. We always self-tour and drive but
for a one-day timeline with p/u & return, it might be best to consider a driver and tour.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -