Very General Italy Advice

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 12:00 PM
LA

Very General Italy Advice

Hello <BR>I hope someone can help lead my husband & me in the right direction. We have a dream of taking a 2 week trip to Italy but have no idea where to go. We are not the typical tourist type vacation people. Our thought is that we would like to pick an area (or two) where we can have a nice hotel or house to stay & experience the country, preferably somewhere by the water. We are envisioning waking up in the morning, walking and/or biking to a local bakery, heading to the beach & then spend the evening strolling around the town & finding a nice dinner spot. Something similar I suppose to the Talented Mr Riply setting. Can anyone tell me where I should focus my search or if our idea is feasible? <BR>Thanks!

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 12:14 PM
GAC

In Southern Italy-Bay of Naples, check out Ischia, Capri, Sorrento, Positano, and Ravello. In Sicily, Taormina. In the north, the Ligurian coast. On the Italian Lakes, Stresa on Lake Maggiore, the Centro Lago on Lake Como (Bellagio, Menaggio and Varenna), Sirmione and Gardone Riviera on Lake Garda. These are just the most famous ......

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 04:24 PM
Betsy

LA <BR> <BR>Explore the website www.slowtrav.com. Sounds like what you might be looking for. <BR> <BR>Buon viaggio

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 05:59 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Hello LA, here is a start. Pick an area you like and plan no more than 5 destinations. I also like the slowtrav.com site--good stuff. <BR> <BR>SO, YOU WANT TO SEE ITALY ! <BR>FIRST, GET A GOOD MAP ! Having planned more then sixty personalized itineraries to <BR>southern Europe and Italy, I have learned that the best trip plans start with a good map. It takes about six weeks to see most of Italy, and that does not include Sicily. So, any typical two week sojourn requires a geographic orientation and thoughtful <BR>planning to optimize the total experience. The temptation is to try to see too much,and that is a big mistake. My advice is to limit yourself to FIVE DESTINATIONS OR LESS for any two week itinerary. Perceive Italy as geographic regions and plan accordingly. Here is a menu to help you to plan well. Let your total time in Italy, and a good map, determine your feasible choices ! <BR> <BR> THE BEST DESTINATIONS IN ITALY---BY CATEGORY---NORTH TO SOUTH <BR> <BR>REGIONS OF NATURAL SPLENDOR: <BR>1. The Lakes of Lombardy/Piedmonte [ Maggiore, Como, Lugano, Orta] <BR>2. The Dolomites/Lake Garda [ Cortina, Ortisei, Merano, Riva del Garda] <BR>3. The Ligurian Coast [ Portofino, Cinque Terre, Portovenere] <BR>4. Tuscany/ Umbria [ quaint and historic hill towns] <BR>5. The Amalfi Coast [ Sorrento, Positano, Ravello, Capri] <BR> <BR>THE HISTORICAL ART CITIES: <BR>1. Venice & Veneto [ allow 3 days---more if you include Vicenza, Verona et al] <BR>2. Florence [ it all happened here--plan for 2 days just in Florence] <BR>3. Siena [ deserves a full day, perhaps as a day trip from Florence] <BR>4. Rome [ the Eternal City demands 5 days---some would say two weeks] <BR> <BR>ROMANTIC RESORT DESTINATIONS: <BR>1. Bellagio [ the best of Lago Como] <BR>2. Cortina [ the Vail of Italy--ski resort in heart of the Dolomites] <BR>3. Portofino/ Santa Margherita [ splendid sea-side venue] <BR> 4. Positano [ the best location to explore the Amalfi coast] <BR> 5. Taormina [ fabulous sea-side location in Sicily] <BR> 6. Ravello [ la dolce vita above the Amalfi coast] <BR> <BR> BOB THE NAVIGATOR <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 06:38 AM
Mari

Hello LA, we did just what you described on our recent trip to Italy. We stayed in Massa Lubrense which is just a few kilometers from Sorrento and close to other small villages. As you might already know, beaches aren't the best in that area, but the food is - great restaurants nearby, beautiful scenery, friendly people, and wonderful places to explore on walks or drives. After we returned home from Massa, I found the name of a person who is a hiking guide in the area. I wished I knew this before we went. Good luck and have fun!

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 06:57 AM
eu

Hi there <BR>we are Eugenio and Catherina from Manarola(Cinque Terre). <BR>We organize travels in Italy for all those who are not "typical tourist type vacation people". We are trying to improve a tourism focused on a deeper knowledge than usual. <BR>All the day must be used to understand the place where we are. For example in Liguria there are lots of footpaths and almost unknown sites to visit(Church, sanctuary,old restaurant,little harbours,kellers). With train, car or by foot(till is possible) you can spend 10-14 day full of activity. <BR>