Versailles, Paris

Search

Versailles, Paris

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30th, 2009, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Versailles, Paris

We just returned from a three night trip to Versailles, Paris. Here are my comments. I chose the Trianon Palace Hotel which turned out to be a great weekend hotel. The rooms were well appointed and quite large for Paris standards. Our room had a little balcony overlooking the park and windows which opened to let in a breeze. The bathroom was newly renovated, very large and well lighted. The bed was very, very comfortable. We ate in the hotel on one night; the food was good, and the service was excellent. Breakfast was included in our room rate, and while it said it was continental, it had everything we wanted - eggs, meat, potatoes, fruit, bread, coffee and juices.

Versailles Palace was beautiful; the fountains were flowing and the flowers were in full bloom. Make sure to wear sturdy shoes because the cobblestones are killers on one's feet. We thought the train ride at the palace was really misleading. We had tickets to Marie Antoinette's palace. We boarded the train at the main palace and got off at the first stop. The tickets said they were good in both directions, but in reality, at least in September, there only is one circuit. We reboarded the train after the visit to the Trianon Palace thinking it would take us to the Petite Trianon Palace and the half timbered houses. It didn't; it went back to the main palace and then they wouldn't let us back on the train because you only get one ride. So we had to walk back down the hill to the half-timbered houses.

We had no problems getting to Versailles from the airport. We followed the directions posted here. We took the train from the airport to the St. Michael/Notre Dame station, climbed two flights of steps, boarded the train to Versailles/ Rive Gauche station and got off at the end of the ride. There is a bus stop outside of the train station which will take you to the front of the Trianon Palace Hotel or you can walk, but it is a long walk.

The other restaurant we ate at was Le Limousin. We ate there twice it was so good. I highly recommend this restaurant.
Old Sep 30th, 2009, 07:16 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
We were there on on Sept.10th and saw the Cyrano de Bergerac firework spectacular at night. It was over the pond with the palace lit up on the hill----stunning! Did you happento se that?
Old Oct 1st, 2009, 03:51 AM
Original Poster

No, we were there at the end of September. I'll bet that was spectacular. They did have signs up showing there will be another fireworks display in October.

One other comment I should make, taxis in Versailles are slim in existence. We got out of the concert at the church in the palace on Saturday night and could not get a taxi. Three young boys gave us a ride to the hotel, bless them. On Monday morning we went down to check out and ordered a taxi back to the train station. None were in the area. One of the hotel employees gave us a ride to the station. If you will need a taxi, make sure you order it in advance.
Old Oct 1st, 2009, 04:00 AM

Know too that any vaporetto pass (single day or multi-day) also includes traghetto.
Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 05:00 AM

I am just beginning my research as I have promised my 18 YO DD who is a Senior in HS that I would take her there for Springbreak. She did not make the deadline ( 9/15 !) for her class trip to some crowded teen hotel in Dominican.

She loved to read about Marie Antoinette in history class when she was younger and is fascinated by Architecture as she is curretnly trying to apply to Architecture schools for college.

I want to spend some time here for her -
Lippincottfarm - thanks for posting!