Paris Nord Train Station to Hotel by Eiffel Tower with 6 People

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What would be the best way to get from the train station to our hotel with 6 people and our luggage?
Old Jul 25th, 2009, 05:03 AM
ira

Hi S,

What's your budget?

Also see www.ratp.fr for public transportation.

Old Jul 25th, 2009, 06:54 AM

The "best" way would be by taxi - two taxis to be percise. Now the cheapest way is a whole other story.

You can call your hotel and they should be able to give you a general idea of the fare from Gard du Nord to the hotel.
Old Jul 25th, 2009, 07:19 AM

Agree about the taxi. It shouldn't be much more than 15-20E each taxi. If you are unfamiliar with Paris cabs, there is a surcharge for being picked up at the station, and for each piece of luggage, so don't think they are overcharging what is on the meter.
Old Jul 25th, 2009, 07:59 AM

You don't need two taxis. You should be able to fit into one of the 7-passenger taxi vans. Just make sure it's a Taxi Parisien (it will have a sign on the top saying so).
Old Jul 25th, 2009, 08:20 AM

Yes, go to the real taxi line and don't listen to the pushy rip-off drivers who will approach you. Two of those wanted 60 euros to go from Gare du Nord to Place Beaubourg-- I told them "Are you crazy? I can walk there!" Then they kept approaching the rest of my party and became verbally abusive when I told my mother and aunt to ignore them.
Old Jul 25th, 2009, 12:37 PM

One of those guys got verbally abusive with me, also, within CDG airport when I told him to get lost and that what he was doing wasn't legal. He kept trying to convince me (even though I was walking rapidly and ignoring him) that he was a legitimate taxi. It was quite obvious I knew the situation well, I don't know why he thought he could convince me otherwise, I wasn't hesitating or acting like I could be persuaded. I agree it should be about 15-20 euro, but don't like the concept of asking your hotel what the fare should be if you are going to use that to refuse to pay more. Taxis in Paris are run by meters, and I've known some tourists who try to cheat the taxi driver, actually, by not paying the fare because it's a little different from what someone told them, or they don't understand the fare regulations. On some travel site (I think Fodors), some person was complaining a lot because a taxi was five euro more than some other person they knew for the approximate same route, as if that weren't possible depending on traffic, etc. Also, there are surcharges for over three people, I think, as well as perhaps a surcharge for Gare du Nord pickup (any train station, I think).

But I guess if it were 50 euro or so, you might be suspicious and say you were getting someone in the hotel or something -- I don't know, as I've never had such a problem. It's good just for planning to have an idea, of course.
Old Jul 25th, 2009, 05:33 PM

<<but don't like the concept of asking your hotel what the fare should be if you are going to use that to refuse to pay more.>>

And you got that from my response, how?
Old Jul 25th, 2009, 06:04 PM

If the party is traveling light (one bag per person), you should be able to take the 49 bus to the Champ de Mars.