Reload this Page >

Versailles or Chartres???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 1999, 02:16 PM
Diane

My husband in I will have 5 days in Paris so there is really time for just one day trip. I have been impressed with the pictures of Versailles, but he is interested in gothic architecture and wants to see Chartres. This is our first trip - which do you all suggest? We are going the end of September if that makes a difference.

Old Sep 7th, 1999, 02:35 PM
elvira

Actually, you can do both, if you get to the chateau at opening - a half hour ride (9:00am/the gardens open at 7:00am) then catch a train to Chartres around 1:15 (it's about a half hour ride to Chartres). You'll take the RER line C to the chateau (station is rive gauche) but take the train from the chartiers station to Chartres. The return from Chartres will take about an hour. <BR>The chateau is closed on Monday. I'm big on cramming as much as I can into one day (if my brains ooze out my ears, I know I have succeeded). <BR>

Old Sep 7th, 1999, 05:26 PM
Peter

Not wanting to get in the middle of martial disputes ... however ... I would go to Chartres ... the English speaking tour is wonderful ... the cathedral will capture you ... the twisting streets in the area will allow for a leisurely lunch .. <BR> <BR>Save Versailles for the spring/summer when the gardens are in bloom <BR>

Old Sep 7th, 1999, 06:08 PM
steve

ditto Peter's message

Old Sep 7th, 1999, 07:08 PM
lola

I would do both if I wanted to see both. Nor too hard to do, as above post says, and a good contrast of material and spiritual riches. Versailles is fabulous even without the flowers, Chartres is arguably the greatest Gothic cathedral-- and who knows when you'll get back. Do it now.

Old Sep 8th, 1999, 08:22 AM
Joe

There are bus tours from Paris that go to both Versailles and Chartes in the same day. I think we took Cityrama, but i believe that several companies offer the tours.

Old Sep 8th, 1999, 09:35 AM
Diane

I never considered we could do both - thanks so much. (The marriage wasn't at stake but this puts an end to some very long "discussions"). I have a question though - I thought I read that the Chartier station was closer to the Chateau than the Rive Gauche station so there would be less of a walk. Which is correct?

Old Sep 8th, 1999, 12:16 PM
elvira

Rive Gauche is around a mile from the Chateau (easy walk, no hills, little stores along the way, city hall on the right with a giant flower design in the embankment) and the stop you want. Cross the street toward McDonald's, take a right, follow the line of stores (it's under an arcade) until it ends, hang a left, then straight ahead is the chateau. The giant paving stones in the courtyard are ankle-killers. <BR>All the RER C trains don't go to Rive Gauche. Each train has a name; it's VICKY or VICKERS or VICHY, some name like that, that goes to Rive Gauche. The stations are all listed on a lightup board (the stations at which the train stops are lit up with a little light). <BR>You can also ask someone before you get on the train. If you don't speak French, smile nicely and say "pardonnez-moi, s'il vous plait, VERSAILLES?" and point at the train. Lots of OUI OUI and a gesture toward the train is an affirmative (see how easy French is?) NON NON Pas a VERSAILLES - well, see, now you understand French. <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 8th, 1999, 05:43 PM
Margo

Visit both sites if you can do so, however, if you can only choose one, visit Chartres. The cathederal is a marvel to behold. If for some reason you decide to stay for a night, do not stay at the Grand Monarch Hotel. During my last visit, we noted the hall carpets was severely stained and the hotel room was dirty. The hotel most definitely should be checked out again by Fodor before he recommends it in his travel books. We plan to return to Chartres in two weeks with my daughter and her husband ( we are not staying at the Monarch). Have a great time in Paris!

Old Sep 9th, 1999, 08:40 AM
michele

If possible, do both. If not, CHARTRES...magnificent...take the tour with Malcolm Miller, the Chartres scholar and superb guide.

Old Sep 9th, 1999, 02:47 PM
Christina

I'd say it depends on your tourism habits but I personally would not recommend you do both in one day, that's too much. And, I'd disagree with others and say if you only do one day trip, do Versailles. The reason is that there isn't anything like Versailles in Paris but there is plenty of other Gothic architecture and cathedrals in Paris so Chartres is not as unique and with limited time I think it's more worthwhile a trip than seeing another Gothic cathedral (presuming you WILL see Notre Dame and Sainte Chapelle, which also has good stained glass windows).

Old Sep 11th, 1999, 03:00 PM
Diane

One more question - what are your thoughts about going on a Sunday? I know that is the busiest tourist day for Versailles but it also the only day the fountains are active. Would Chartres also be crowded on a Sunday?

Old Sep 11th, 1999, 08:39 PM
alan

Hi! Just read you posting and it is a hard decision to make. We stayed overnight in Chartres so our perspective was different. In all the countries I've seen in Europe the past 12 yrs. Chartres remains most in my mind of all the Cathedrals including Notre Dame in Paris. The way shadows and light play at Chartres is wonderfulNot knocking Versailles at all, it is most magnificant and a sight. If you can do both in one day go for it. alan

Old Sep 12th, 1999, 11:24 AM
elvira

EVERY tourist thing is busy on Sunday, but if you do Chartres in the afternoon, and Versailles first thing in the morning, you should have plenty of time to see both (Chartres is beautiful, but it doesn't take hours to see like Versailles - it's a giant cathedral with statues and carvings and stained glass windows.)

Old Sep 13th, 1999, 06:45 AM
Ben

I would see Versailles. I didn't think much of Chartres--I realized I'm not into stained glass. Keep in mind that while Chartres is more impressive than Saint-Chapelle, many of the same people who worked on Chartres worked on S-C so you'll get to enjoy similar artistry while staying in the city center. Also, even though your husband likes gothic architecture, Notre Dame will give him his fix. <BR> <BR>I'm telling you, few people are disappointed by Versailles. I recommend that if you go, you opt for an additional tour of the opera house--it's really something.

Old Sep 13th, 1999, 08:57 AM
Ed

One small vote for Versailles, if you can only do one. We've found nothing to compare to it. And if see all both in the main complex as well as the (extremely worthwhile) grounds and other buildings you'll have a _very_ full day. <BR> <BR>As others, I agree that Chartres is superb but not so unique as to place it ahead of Versailles in an either or situation. Notre Dame and Saint Chappelle are quite special and representative of much of what you'll find at Chartres.