Search

Versailles

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2004, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Versailles

Going to Paris for the first time in mid August--can anyone tell me what day would be best to go to Versailles? We're arriving on a Friday, so that would leave Sat-Wed to go.
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 12:44 PM

http://www.chateauversailles.fr/

I would check the schedule for august, I believe they have the Spectacle of the Fountains on Sundays. Might also be some nighttime concerts if that interests you. Weekends will be busier, no doubt, especially since august is holiday time in france. Are you going on your own or on a tour? Easy to do by RER train, go early to avoid the crowds. If you do want a tour, one is Parisvision:
http://www.parisvision.com/fr/index.cfm

Mike

Old Jul 26th, 2004, 01:33 PM

Hi
the Chateau is closed on Mondays.

some websites
www.chateauversailles.fr/
www.versailles-france.com/tfaqa003.htm
www.frommers.com/destinations/versailles/
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 01:40 PM

I seem to remember that my Access Paris guide book has every monument/museums schedule in it, which was a great help when we planned each days outings.
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 01:49 PM

...the idea re sunday and the fountains is excellent..bring the michelin green guide..excellent source for what open when..it is light too. dont over plan..have several options for each day depending on weather ect (so must know when certain things you'd like to see are not open)
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 02:18 PM

On Saturday evenings during the summer there are what the French call spectacles at Versailles. They take place at the Neptune Fountain and include historic pageants, dancing, fencing, costume parades, and fabulous fireworks set to music. You can get tickets at the Paris tourist office or at Versailles.
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 04:28 PM

Whatever day you choose, make sure to use your museum pass. We were able to bypass the HUGE line at entrance A and go in via entrance B, which is for large groups AND people with museum passes.

Also, the supplemental tour that comes with the audio tape (it costs extra) is worth it. I think it is of the king's private apartments, as well as the dauphin's and the dauphine's. Not as many people were doing that, I guess b/c it cost extra. I really enjoyed this tour after feeling like the life was being squeezed out of me as we toured the State Apartments. It was REALLY crowded!!

Extremely jealous that you are going! Went for the first time last April . . . WHAT A TRIP! Yesterday my hubby and I watched the last laps of the Tour de France and we wished we could magically transport ourselves to Paris! Have a wonderful time!
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 05:59 PM

Just be careful of the gypsy teenagers while there. My sister almost got into trouble with them when they circled her ready to do something if I didn't tell her to just start walking and don't look back.