Verona or Padua from Venice

Old May 23rd, 2001, 12:41 PM
L. Whiting

Verona or Padua from Venice

I will be in Venice 5 days in September, and will have about 8 hours for a side trip. Given Padua is about a 1 hour round trip and Verona is 3 hours round trip by train, which would be the better? Verona is very popular and perhaps a beautiful trip, but I would have less time there. Any suggestions?

Old May 23rd, 2001, 01:03 PM
kam

Verona should be just under 2 hours by train although there used to be a rapid train that I recall took less. It's a wonderful city, very romantic with the legend of Romeo and Juliette and an impressive Roman ampitheatre. Padua is probably about 30 minutes from Venice and has gorgeous Giotto frescoes and great restaurants. Either city is a walking delight. And, just to add to your confusion, you can also do daytrips to Vicenza if you are interested in Palladio's architecture, to Ferrara if you have heard of the Este's or to Trieste for a different culture altogether. Be aware that most things are closed on Mondays in these smaller towns. If time is the major concern, Padua is the best choice, but Vicenza might be mine.

Old May 23rd, 2001, 02:52 PM
Paulo

Considering the distance from Porta Nuova train station to the old center, and time allowances to find the right track, your round trip to Verona should eat up 4 hours. More often than not, an amount of time should also be considered to have a snack lunch. Therefore, unless you manage to raise the number of available hours to something closer to 10 (departing after breakfast, around 9am, returning around 7pm, a shower, and out to dinner) I wouldn't go to Verona. On the other hand, I doubt that you'll end up spending all of the 6½ usable hours in Padua.

I'd recommend you to play it more or less by ear (there's a chance you won't move from Venice after all .

Be sure to check if the Scrovegni Chapel is open. I've visited Padua 4/5 times and twice it was closed (for one reason or another) and in one of these opportunities the whole site (which also includes the Mantegna's frescoes in the Eremitani church and the Municipal Gallery) was shut down.

Paulo

Old May 23rd, 2001, 03:52 PM
jahoulih

I had made a reservation at the Scrovegni Chapel for Sept. 9; I got an e-mail last week informing me that it was closed as of May 6, and that my money would be refunded.

Old May 27th, 2001, 07:05 AM
eva

I'm just back from Venice/Padova /Verona.The Scrovegni Chapel will be closed until Jan.2002.
The from Venice to Verona the Intercity train takes 1 1/2 hours.There are some fantastic churches in Verona, San Zeno is the best.
If you think Padova is too small for a one-day trip,you can take a Padova-Vicenza trip.
I've got the last info about Venice/Verona opening times etc,so ask if you are interested .
Rgds
Eva