Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Has anyone been to Hungary recently? I need some information please.

Has anyone been to Hungary recently? I need some information please.

May 22nd, 2001, 09:42 PM
Alice Killen

Has anyone been to Hungary recently? I need some information please.

Hi, I am going to Hungary very soon. I was wondering if it is true that they have been searching ever ones luggage when going there and leaving? And that dogs are sniffing out everything! Is this true? Also I would like to visit the country area, but I hear if I do I visit there I will have to have a disinfect washing of me and my things! Is hard cheese still allowed to be brought into the United States? Thank you very much for any help. Alice

May 23rd, 2001, 09:47 AM
Art

Hi Alice, I was in Hungary 1 1/2 years ago. I've not seen or heard anything re mad cow or hoof and mouth disease. There were no dogs in sight at the airport on arrival or departure. I think (but not sure) that you cannot bring dairy products into the US, but maybe someone else might have better info than I. It is a beautiful country and Budapest is one of my favorate cities. Have a great trip.
Regards

May 23rd, 2001, 11:41 AM
mimi

Just returned last week from Hungary and stayed mainly in Budapest and the Danube Bend. No one searched our luggage anywhere and we found the country and the people very friendly. As for food we were told not to bring fruit or plants back but nothing about wrapped food. Everywhere we went was very clean especially the restrooms.

May 23rd, 2001, 03:05 PM
Alice

Thank you Art and MiMi for your help. I was there just a year ago and the year before, and customs was a breeze both trips. It was just since all this stuff about Mad cow.. My friends had me going crazy over this. I guess no Gulash for me trip.
Mimi, can you please tell me what the exchange rate was for the American Dollar when you were there? Every site I go to on the web is different.

Thank you
Alizka

May 23rd, 2001, 03:17 PM
peter

we were in hungary in march. no dogss sniffing or any other problems. mad cow not a problem there. go to oanda.com for money conversions and exchange rates-probably the best one on the net and can print travelers cheat sheets(conversion tables both ways)

May 27th, 2001, 08:16 AM
eva

Today's rate: 1 USD= 286 HUF.
No mad cow here,we eat as much beef as ever(I was in italy last weak, and people are eating it there also)Eat your gulyás!
Working as a tour guide 15 years,I 've had 20000 tourists, never ever any one of them was complaining about luggage opened or searced.I go to the airport 3 times a weak and see a dog 5 times a year.
Any questions feel free to ask
Eva

Search this Thread