Whitechapel area, London

May 23rd, 2001, 03:18 AM
Anon

Whitechapel area, London

Can any Londoners tell me if Whitechapel is an OK area or is it best avoided. I'm a single woman who has the offer of an apartment in Whitechapel. Looking at the map it seems close to Tower Hamlets which I understand isn't a good area? Any thoughts on this, I have to make decision within next few days. Any comments would be gratefully received. Thanks.

May 23rd, 2001, 05:24 AM
Mel

The area of Whitechapel that I wondered into (once) was not an area I would wish to live in. We also went during a Jack the Ripper tour. It would be unfair to use that experience as a gauge because it was late at night and purposefully eerie. Ben Haines--You are needed here!! (If you get no more hits, try reposting under something like "Apt offered in White Chapel-should I move?") Good luck!

May 23rd, 2001, 06:14 AM
sylvia

I don't know about Whitechapel but parts of Tower Hamlets are coming up. Shoreditch is now full of arty and media types with all the shops, restaurants etc they bring with them. My daughter lives in Bethnal Green. Parts of that are being gentrified too.

May 23rd, 2001, 06:19 AM
sylvia

Just remembered, there is a really good website, up my street http://www.upmystreet.com/
You just enter the postcode of an area you are interested in and it gives you loads of information, schools, health, house prices, level of crime, crime clearup rates etc.

May 23rd, 2001, 07:29 AM
david.west

Well it rather depends on which bit.

Whitechapel is now very trendy and bohemian. It is where the Young British Artists (YBAs) scene is based. Artists such as Tracey emin (Adler St) and Damien Hirst are based there. As a fall out from that and combined with the relitively low cost of housing it has become a bit of a mecca for media types and the like. So good bars and very lively nightlife, check Time Out for details

THere is also Brick Lane which is another sort of Mecca, being a focal point of the Local Bangladeshi community. Brilliant restaurants and a lively market (you'd never believe you were in England).

On the down side it is also quite run down in places, but these are places you wouldn't go as a visitor (eg council estates ("projects I think they're called in America).

However the usual street smarts and an open mind should mean you will have a good time. My friends who live there (all 30 somethings) wouldn't move out if you paid them.

If you want specifics feel free to contact me, the email is at the top

David

May 23rd, 2001, 07:33 AM
jackie

Whitechapel would be OK if the apartment is near St Katherines Dock, do you have a street name? Other parts are to be avoided if you do not know your way around. Parts of Whitechapel I would not walk in at night, and I grew up in Stepney, Tower Hamlets, which is not as bad as the press portrays.

May 25th, 2001, 10:08 PM
Anon

Thanks everyone. The apartment WAS on Albion Court. I guess I found out the hard way that you have to grab short-let apartments when offered. Thanks for the information on area. Does anyone have thoughts on Bermondsey, Peckham, Stepney? These areas seem about the right balance of cash and distance.

May 27th, 2001, 09:28 AM
Ben Haines

I think both Ber,mondsey and Stepney are on their way up, with young professionals movoing in. I shop often in Peckham, and it is as it was, with lively trades in stolen motror cars and druugs. These trades have almost no effect on the middle class people who have for years lived in small and green squares scattered around the area.

I have to concede two bad events in the last year. A drug dealer sprayed another with bullets from a motor car, and some schoolchildren beat up and killed another who woudn't join any teenage gang.

None of which makes any difference to shopping there, nor, I should think, to living there.

Ben Haines