Verbier Question

Search

Verbier Question

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2019, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Verbier Question

We are planning to spend several days in Verbier during the music festival time in early August. Just curiuous if anyone has any suggestion of a local guide to assist us in traveling to Mont-Fort, Chaminox and maybe some local Verbier hikes? Many Thanks for anyone who takes the time to assist us. Really appreciate it.
Old Aug 27th, 2019, 05:44 AM

There is no need for a local guide (which would be horribly expensive BTW as Swiss salaries are almong the highest of the world).
It's very easy to take the gondola to Les Ruinettes - Col des Gentianes - Mont Fort) or down to Le Chable where the train to Martigny waits a few steps away. At Martigny, you can board the Vallorcine - Chamonix train at the same platform.
The local tourist office will be happy to sell the corresponding tickets and to give you timetables and hiking maps for free. There are tons of signmarked hiking trails: relatively short panoramic hikes from one gondola station to another one (for example from Les Ruinettes to Savoleyeres) and there are much more strenuous hikes up to and over glaciers.
At Verbier, most hiking trails are clearly separated from the many bike trails.
English is widely spoken at Verbier.
Old Aug 27th, 2019, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Thank You neckervd!! Really appreciate your kindness and valuable information. We are looking forward to Verbier (first time visit) and your insight confirmed what we had hoped would be the case. We love Switzerland and always enjoy the friendly folks we meet while on our visits.
Thanks again.
Old Aug 27th, 2019, 09:05 AM

I was there one year for that, I planned a trip around it to hear Martha Argerich. But I mainly was staying in Montreux, just went up there for one overnight. I did just take the gondola up and the train from Martigny. really liked that festival, have fun. I presume you have a place to stay.