Reload this Page >

venice worth it for just one day?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2001, 03:01 PM
carrie

I just went to the railway site & realized venice is a 4.40hr. train ride from rome. I didn't realize it was that far. Basically, I'll have 7 nights in italy. was going to do 3 rome 3 florence and 1 venice, but going 3hrs. from flo to venice just for 1 day seems a bit outrageous. What are your thoughts? This will be our 1st trip to italy.

Old Feb 4th, 2001, 03:17 PM
fred

carrie would suggest that this trip you skip venice and instead make a day trip to sienna its much closer and will be easier to accomplish. i assume you return flight leaves from firenze.

Old Feb 4th, 2001, 03:19 PM
howard

Carrie, I just brought similar posting about a day in Venice up to the top. His situation, however, is a bit different than yours. <BR>While just one day in Venice is a tease, it's better than nothing. My advice: If you do not plan on returning to Italy, then certainly you must see Venice on this trip. However, if you think you will return, then forget about Venice this time and just add one day onto either Rome or Florence and save Venice for the next trip. There's certainly enough for you to do on that extra day in either Rome or Florence.

Old Feb 4th, 2001, 03:28 PM
cmt

Ditto Howard's advice. You should not miss seeing Venice, even if it's just for a day, but if there will ever be a next time, it would be better to postpone the Venice visit.

Old Feb 4th, 2001, 03:31 PM
Nancy

- <BR>It's not uncommon for Venice to be a day trip for lots of folks --- I think it's stretching yourself pretty thin, especially since this is your first visit and you'll have ample things to see/do in Rome & Florence. <BR> <BR>BUT, if your really want to see Venice, then it can be done. I'd strongly suggest you take the EuroStar (ES) train between Florence - Venice. It's the quickest on that route and more comfortable than the slower trains.

Old Feb 4th, 2001, 07:05 PM
clairobscur

<BR> I can't really advise someone not to see Venice, even for only one day. So, I suppose I'll support Howard's advice too...

Old Feb 4th, 2001, 10:31 PM
Art

I would add a day to Rome, subtract a day from Florance and deinitly hit Venice. It is the most unique city that you'll ever see. As above, if you will be returning, you could skip one of them for later.

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 08:25 AM
Elsa

Nancy (or anyone else, <BR>Do you know how long it takes to reach Venice from Florence on the Eurostar? <BR> <BR>Thank you

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 08:29 AM
Beth Anderson

Venice-Florence on ES: <BR> <BR>2 hours 45 mins. <BR> <BR>a pretty ride. Get a bottle of wine and meet your fellow travelers... <BR> <BR>

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 09:20 AM
sam

I realize everyone may not agree here, but I definitely think Venice is worth a day. I would go for it especially with the speedy ES. I would even suggest that you keep Rome at 3 days, spend only 2 days in Florence and two in Venice. If you are certain you'll return, then maybe you'd skip Venice this time, but I'd be hesitant to do that--Venice is amazing even in a day.

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 12:09 PM
Tom

I'm in the skip Venice category. Going on our second trip to Italy this fall and Venice didn't make the list again. As much as we want to see it, other areas took precedence and we like to have time to decompress. Think it depends how you like to travel. We much prefer extra time to wander and people watch rather than pack too many sights into one trip. Have a great time.

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 12:43 PM
dale

carrie: <BR>my advice: revise your itinerary. go to venezia for seven days. you'll never regret it.

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 12:44 PM
Carol

Carrie: <BR> <BR>Go, go, go! Venice is a magical place and it's amazing what you can do in one day. We spent one day there two years ago (my husband's first time, my second) and hd a romantic, magical, wonderful time - wouldn't replace it for anything! <BR> <BR>My advice if you do go - find a hotel close to the train station (that you can walk to) so you don't have to deal with vaporettos and luggage, etc for one night. <BR> <BR>Then just walk, walk, walk, or take a gondola or use vaporettos, but whatever you do, don't miss Venice!