Reload this Page >

Not much info. on Morrocco...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 09:04 AM
iris

I know that all mesages in this forum should be pertaining to Europe but I am not getting much feedback from the Africa forum. What souvenirs should I bring from Morroco. I'll be in Fez, Marrakesh and Rabat ( will only pass through Tangiers, phew!!) Also, is there anything I should know. By the way, is it alright for women to wear jeans and babyt's. Thank you much.

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 09:09 AM
elvira

Morocco is a Moslem country, though less strict than countries in the Middle East; dress accordingly out of respect for their religion. If babyt's are those teeny weeny tops that leave your belly bare and fit tightly across your breasts, don't. <BR> <BR>Look for pottery, blue cloth, spices, tea glasses and silver teapots, beads, leather goods. <BR> <BR>

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 10:00 AM
reader

There were several good travel articles in the NY times a few months ago about Morocco. Three were in one of the Sunday regular travel sections and one was in the special semiannual Sophisticated Traveler supplementary magazine. You can probasbly search for them in the New York Times website or at the public library. I think they were all in Sept. or at the earliest/latest August-October.

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 12:26 PM
clairobscur

I would add to the list : copper dishes, little silver jewels (though I would be cautious about them)especially filigreed ones, inlayed furnitures (yes..I know...very cumbersome...but probably my prefered item, there), and many, many other things. I'm sure you'll easily find a lot of typical items you'll like. <BR> <BR>Of course, you must haggle (I suppose you know it), especially since prices seem to skyrocket immediatly when the customer speaks english (assumed to be a rich american, I suppose). I used to advise my french-speaking friends to wait until there's no more english speakers in the shop before beginning to discut prices, for that exact reason. Generally speaking, it's always better to be alone in the shop to haggle, anyway. <BR> <BR>Jeans are fine. Don't know what's a "babyt's", but the idea, roughly, is not to expose too much skin.

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 12:44 PM
Art

Don't forget RUGS. They make a lot of them and some are quite beautiful and good prices if you bargen hard. <BR>