Search

Venice vs. Lakes

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6th, 2003, 04:49 AM
kao
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Venice vs. Lakes

We are honeymooning in Italy from May 16 to May 25. We are flying into Florence, renting a car, spending 6 days in Tuscany and then returning the car to Florence. Where do we go via train for the remaining 3 days - Venice or the Lake Region? And why? We need to determine this in order to purchase our return ticket (from Milan or Venice). Any opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 06:06 AM

Good morning, Kao
Would go to Venice mainly due to the
weather in later May, would be about
Aver. hi of 58 deg. f. low of 46 deg f an about 6.5 inches of rain....
Also think there is more to do in Venice
than the lakes...You could get rid of the car upon leaving Florence and take
the train from Florence to Venice and
again from Venice to Milano....
Saving the car rental for almost a week.
Richard of LaGrange P
Lark, Il..
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 06:25 AM
Intrepid

Having been to both I would agree that there is much more to see and do in Venice...more museums, more art works,and MUCH more historical importance (and yes, these are just a few of the reasons folks flock to that city) especially if you have not ever been there. "The lakes" (assume you are speaking of Como, Lugano, etc) are, I think, much more a place to go for scenery and relaxation and visiting various sites at a slower pace. They are certainly worth a visit or more but I would not do so instead of seeing Venice for the first time.

Old Oct 6th, 2003, 08:06 AM

I'd also recommend venice, it is easier to see on foot once you arrive, whereas at the Lakes you would want a car.

Have a great trip!!
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 09:52 AM
ChatNoir

My reading of many past posts here leads me to believe a car is not required nor usually desirable in the lake district.

Old Oct 6th, 2003, 10:51 AM

For a honeymoon, by all means, Venice!
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 11:34 AM
Intrepid

I would tend to agree that a car is not an essential, at Lake Como anyway, but that could depend on which part of the lake you visit and if you wanted to travel away from the lake Some folks seem to be much more comfortable having a car as opposed to taking local public transport so I suppose it is a matter of comfort level to some degree.

Old Oct 6th, 2003, 12:31 PM

I was just in all of those places in June for my Honeymoon! COngratulations! Tuscany was our favorite. I loved Lake Como but to choose, if you haven't been to either, I've got to say go to Venice. More to see/do and just amazing! Como is very relaxing but 2 nights was enough for us (we started there to get over the jet lag). Venice I could have used a 3rd or 4th night.
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 12:34 PM

Definitely Venice. There's a fast train between the two cities. Dump the car in Florence. I love Venice. I was there again last year and plan to go next year for Carnavale.