Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Venice, Verona and Lake Como- Eats and To Dos

Old Sep 13th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Original Poster

this worked for me last year....we are leaving on 10-8 for Venice, Verona and Lake Como. We're at the Danielli in Venice, Del Torri in Verona and in Bellagio/Lake Como. Any ideas?

What are yur top 5 restaurants in Venice, Verona and Lake Como?

What are the top 3 things to see in each?

My husband and I rely on this site for all the insid scoop for our travels. Yes, we have all of the travel mags and guides, but nothing beats word of mouth.

Thanks
Old Sep 14th, 2008, 06:05 AM

In Venice the best thing to do - as everyone will tell you - is to get lost. Just wander, don't worry or even think about your route. There are no bad or boring parts of Venice so strolling around will get you beautiful scenes everywhere. And just a few steps off the main tourist routes will be peaceful and uncrowded. I would also get up really early at least one day. Piazzo San Marco especially, but also the other "main event" areas are special when not completely full of people. Wander around the first couple hours the sun comes up, then go have breakfast. Get a vaparetto pass and take a lot of rides. Obviously you'll want to see some of the main guidebook "sites" but if you spend all your time in museums or waiting on line you will have forfeited the best of Venice.

Verona - get the Verona Card. Some city's "tourist" cards don't save you much but Verona's definitely did. Cross Ponte Pietra and explore the area across the river. Take a day trip to Padua, a wonderful city and very easy from Verona (I actually was doing the opposite, stayed in Padua and took train to Verona). Very frequent trains and only takes 45 minutes.

Lake Como - Visit Varenna, spend some time at Villa Monastero and climb up to the castle for great views (castle itself is not much, views are fabulous).

I have photos of all these at: www.pbase.com/annforcier Just browse the photos and see what strikes your fancy. (The Veneto and Venezia have their own galleries, Lake Como is in the middle of the gallery that starts with Rome).
Old Sep 14th, 2008, 02:52 PM

For Lake Como, Bellagio is a good town for your hotel loction. I would definitely tour one of the villas (with garden). Villa Carlotta is good. Villa Balbianello is also good but it takes more planning (some days of the week it's boat access only, no foot access, etc.).

The primary thing at Lake Como is to take boat trips to the towns along the lake side. At the far north, Gravedona is worth a stop and we will go back to Domaso some day. The town of Como has large street market on Saturday mornings (where the town's medieval walls still stand). Lenno has a market on Tuesday mornings.

For real foodies Isola Comanchina has a set menu restaurant that is supposed to be great.
Old Sep 14th, 2008, 02:56 PM

Here's a link to my Verona (with some Venice) trip report. Hope it helps:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=2
Old Sep 14th, 2008, 04:10 PM

Recent Lake Como dining/sights thread:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=35134373