Reload this Page >

venice vaporetto which direction?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 03:41 PM
viceroy

I was in Venice and could not figure out which of the 2 lines I should be standing in at each vaporetto stop.Got on vaporetto going in wrong direction which took an hour.How do I make sure I'm on the right boat going in the right direction?I must be missing identifying marks on the boat?I plan to go back soon and it's really bugging me.Tha

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 04:07 PM
dean

In each boarding area there is a sign with an arrow and the name of the stops on it, typically with the stop you are at either highlighted or at the base of the arrow. So all you need do is to look for the name of the stop you are traveling to on the arrow, and take the boat in that direction (ie the direction of the arrow). Note that at many vaporetti stops there are two boarding areas, one for each direction. If the stop you are going to is not on the arrow you are looking at, go to the other barge/boarding area and see if it is there.<BR><BR>Finally, remember that if you're lost you're ahving an adventure

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 04:37 AM
viceroy

Dean, thanks. We had the problem with the 2 boarding areas and same stop when we took our one hour ride. Went around the entire island versus more direct route. Any tips for this or do I just need to study the vaporetto stops and Venice map more closely?

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 04:45 AM
dean

Just take a map that lists all the vaporetto stops and spend a little time with a map and checking out the signs. We use the "Nuova Pianta" map from Litografia Artistica Cartografica as it has better marking of the small calle etc than any other as well as showing the Vaporetti routes. The actv also has route maps which are handy as there are always seasonal and new routes to deal with. <BR><BR>Its not very hard once you get the hang of it. ALso, do you know about the Traghetti? These are gondolas that ferry you across the grand canal. You enter, making sure you have small change for the fare (I think its less than .50 euro). Stand facing the landing. There will be a gondolier there who will offer you his hand to help you aboard. The Gondola will turn around as soon as it pulls out and you will be facing in the direction you are going in. Stand with your feet apart and your knees slightly bent so you can counteract the motion of the gondola. Its the cheapest way to get a gondola level view of Venezia and so very convienient.

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 05:34 AM
richard j vicek

Good morning, The vaporetto information for Venice can be found on ww.actv.it/ingelse/preservizi.htm...<BR>This covers all the routes, stops and<BR>numbering of routes.<BR>There is a very good map, "Pianta di Venezia", distributed thru the Venice<BR>Tourist Office at the southwest corner<BR>of the Pza S. Marco. When boarding<BR>you will note that the vaporettos with<BR>the same number will come from either<BR>direction. knowing the direction of<BR>your destination will allow you to board<BR>the correct boat. Also as boarding tell<BR>the gateman your destination and he will<BR>acknowledge it, or direct you off.<BR>For the most parts for Venice proper, you can almost make as good of time by<BR>walking, including crossing the canal<BR>by tragetti... Richard of LaGrange Park, Il..<BR>