Venice Trip Report

Nov 9th, 2007, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Venice Trip Report

The Trip: As a DGU (doting gay uncle) I told my nieces that I would take them on a trip to the European city of their choosing when they turned 16, so this August the oldest hit the big 16 and we planned a trip to Venice, my 62 year old mother who has never traveled outside of the US decided to join us. This was my second trip to Italy, the first being a trip to Tuscany and Rome 11 years ago, so I was really excited about seeing Venice.
The Flight: We flew NW/KLM from Minneapolis to Amsterdam and then on to Venice, no delays or problems.
The Hotel: We stayed at the Best Western Ala on the Campo Santa Maria Del Giglio E80 for a single and E110 for a double, very small rooms but an excellent location for a short trip. The price included a great breakfast bar.
The Sights: We hit the Basillica and Doges Palace the first morning, very short lines. Over the next three days we also went to the Accademia, Ca Rezzonico and the Guggenheim.
The Meals: We hit the bars each day for pannini at lunch and smaller restaurants in the evening, we had a great meal at Vino Vino.
Shopping: My Mom and my niece loved it, they brought back lots of glass trinkets, masks and marbled paper. We bought chocolate at Vizio Virtu in San Palo, it's well worth seeking out, not far from the San Toma Vaporetti stop.
Music: My niece plays the violin so we decided to take in one of the Vivaldi shows, we attended one by Interpreti Veneziani at the Chiesa San Vidal. E23 We all enjoyed the show.
Gondola Ride: My mom insisted that we take one, E80 for a half hour ride on some of the smaller canals near our hotel. I more than likely would have passed on it, but my mom and niece really enjoyed it.
The Euro: OUCH! my last trip to Europe was five years ago to Paris and boy has the dollar weakened since then.
Stupid American Incident: After a long flight we managed to get our tickets for the Blue Bus and Vaporetti ride at the airport. It was dark when we got off the bus, but we found the area for boat #1. We got on what we thought was the boat and settled in, even finding seats to get a good view. At one point everyone but us got up and headed to the gate, we nearly missed the boat before we realized that we were sitting on the dock, not the boat.
Overall we had a great trip, I wanted to give my niece a bit of wonerlust for traveling and I'm sure that she will rack up a bunch of frequent flyer miles over her adult life.
Thanks,
Bruce
Nov 9th, 2007, 12:49 PM

What a great DGU - you have given your niece (and mom) the experience of a lifetime. And I'm glad you took Mom up on the gondola ride.
Nov 9th, 2007, 12:53 PM

What lucky relatives you have. This sounds like a great trip.
Nov 9th, 2007, 01:32 PM

LOL! We, too, settled in on our first vapretto ride , marveling at our good fortune for getting spacious window seats. Yes, we were in the waiting area on the dock and felt really dumb when we realized we were not actually on a boat !
Nov 9th, 2007, 01:38 PM

How nice. I wish I had an uncle like you!! Thanks for sharing.
Nov 9th, 2007, 07:22 PM

Will you be my DGU? Of course, I'm a little past my 16th birthday . . .

Your nieces are very fortunate, which I'm sure they realize.