Venice Train to Florence

Old Jun 24th, 2014, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

Venice Train to Florence

Can I please have advise? My husband and I are leaving Venice to go to Train station(How) to get a train to Florence for a trip to a rental in Tuscany. What train service to use , what station to get off at Florence for ease of a car rental and rec. for car rental in Florence. Thank you in advance. RMZ
Old Jun 24th, 2014, 06:48 AM

Where are you going in Tuscany? Why don't you rent a car in Venice and drive there directly? That would avoid paying for 2 forms of transportation in one day and also avoid driving in central Florence, which is famously difficult.

There are car rental offices on the edge of Venice in the Piazzale Roma near the train station. For car rental many Fodorites recommend dealing with the broker autoeurope.com, which in turn deals with different car rental companies.
Old Jun 24th, 2014, 07:01 AM

There are two train services, Italy's Trenitalia or the private service Italo. Both will take the same time (about 2 hours) and cost about the same (walk up price 45€) although Trenitalia will have more departures.

It's not so easy to pick up a car at the main train station in Florence as the center is restricted (ZTL) to people with permits. If you cross into ZTL or don't recognize lanes signs (bus only, etc.) you will get a ticket in the mail months later.

What is your destination in Tuscany as there might be better pick up options.

You can get advance purchase discounts (if still available). On Trenitalia, you must use the Italian spelling of cities.

http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/inde...005817f90aRCRD

http://www.italotreno.it/en/Pages/default.aspx
Old Jun 24th, 2014, 07:37 AM

Take a train to Florence Rifredi station, where many trains stop just before the dead-end Florence Santa Maria Novella (SMN) station near the town center - like kybourbon says much of central Florence is a no go for private vehicles.

So if doing Florence for a few days don't rent your car until you are ready to explore Tuscany and or Umbria.

Or do as Mimar suggests just rent your car in Venice - easy out there over the causeway and onto the autostrada - can stop at towns like Padua and or Bologna on the way or other smaller gems.
Old Jun 24th, 2014, 09:15 AM

>>>can stop at towns like Padua and or Bologna on the way or other smaller gems.
Old Jun 24th, 2014, 12:08 PM

You're getting mostly great advice here. If you are going straight to your Tuscany accommodations, the best you can do is rent at Piazzale Roma in Venice and drive there, avoiding all cities with restricted central driving zones.

You asked how to get to the train station in Venice. Getting to the train station and getting to Piazzale Roma are easy: you take a vaporetto from the stop nearest your accommodations.

good luck
Old Jun 25th, 2014, 05:13 AM
Original Poster

How can I avoid problem cities? We are going to Greve. I was told Bologna is a nightmare.Thank you for your assistance. RMZ
Old Jun 25th, 2014, 05:18 AM

How can I avoid problem cities?>

On the autostrada which bypasses all towns. Like out Interstates.