Search

Venice Tour

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Venice Tour

I want to get a "feel" for life in Venice from a resident. Any ideas how I might do that?
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 05:03 AM

ttt
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 06:46 AM

We used Alvise Zanchi at tourvenice.org, he was a wonderful guide whose family has been in Venice for many generations and he also has a very strong academic background in the history of Venice. We had a full day walking tour including lunch which we will never forget.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 03:34 PM

Alan, could you give some detail about what the tour was like? Was it just you, or a larger group? Was it personalized to your interests, or a set itinerary? What did you see/do?

Was it the tour or the lunch you'll never forget? If the latter, where and what was it? \/
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 12:51 PM

Shellio,
Both the lunch and the tour were memorable.
I found Alvise over the internet and it was one of those perfect matches. We were a party of 4 adults and our main interest was architecture and decorative arts. We told Alvise what we would like to concentrate on and he took us on a wonderful tour that included many artisan workshops as well as architectural treasures off the beaten path
Alvise met us at our hotel at 9:00AM and we walked and visited with many craftsmen (some were the last of their kind) until 1:00, we then went to a newly renovated hotel overlooking the lagoon near the Jewish Ghetto. The hotel was in a fantastic Palazzo with an enomous garden and the chef cooked a 3 course lunch of local seafood just for us. After lunch Alvise took us to the Squero Cannaletto where we had a tour of gondola making from Alives' great friend Thom Price. We then took a gondola from the workshop to the San Marco area where we visited a fabulous textile shop (Belavaqua) that still employs people in Venice to weave by hand. Thom Price then met us in his power boat and we sped through the canals like natives. It was truly memorable.
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 01:43 PM

AlanM1:

Thanks for elaborating on the tour. Can you share the name of the hotel where you lunched?
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 07:23 PM

AlanM1, since you met Thom Price, you might be interested in this:

http://veniceblog.typepad.com/venice...rican_gon.html
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 03:46 AM

Thanks for the blog info.
Sorry I didn't name the hotel, but I had to look it up in my notes, it is the Dei Dogi, boscolohotels.com.
We were also lucky enough to be invited to the grand opening of Thom's squero, it was a great experience.