Venice to the Dolomites -- Stopover in Verona

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2009, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be going from Venice to the Dolomites at the end of April via train and thought we might stop in Verona on the way. I figure this will give us about 4 hrs, possibly 5 in Verona so that we are not late for the last bus from Bolzano to Castelrotto where are lodging is located.

My question is this...... Is Verona "doable" on your own in that amount of time? Would it be best to get a guide and would they be available when we arrive in Verona or would we have to schedule one in advance?

I've also been looking into purchasing an audio guide for our MP3 players and saw one from lodingo but don't have any prior knowledge of them... does anyone have knowledge of them? We kind of like to do things on our own, so this is certainly an option but also want our time to be informative and well spent.

Thanks in advance, I don't post much but read a lot and have certainly got a lot of information from this site!
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 09:13 AM

Verona is perfectly "doable" in that amount of time. Take a bus or taxi from the station to Piazza Bra, the main piazza full of cafes and the intact Roman arena. from there, most places of interest are 5 to 10 minutes away on foot. I don't think you need a tour--just a good guidebook (or audioguide as you prefer).
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks ellenem!
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 10:27 AM

I urge you not to miss Verona, It is a lovely city. Be sure to go inside the arena if it is open to visitors while you are there. I believe it is closed on occasion for rehearsals.

Consider spending a few hours in Balzano, also. It is a beautiful small city with many visual treats. Don't forget to visit Otzi.

Pat
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 10:37 AM

There is a nice compact city center. We drove and stayed longer than you so I can't give you good advice on the location of the train and bus stations.

If you start around the arena and work your way through the medieval town center and squares, it will be worth your time and you can accomplish it in your time frame.

I don't think you have time to cross the river to see other sites within your time frame unless that's where the stations are located.

We skipped the Romeo and Juliet stuff (because it's fiction) and found plenty to love in Verona.
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 11:24 AM

What do you do with your luggage?
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 11:51 AM

Verona Porta Nuova, the main train station, has a Left Luggage room

Opening Hours
7/7 days
07.00 - 23.00
Charges
4,00 € the first 5 hours
0,60 € /hour from 6th to 12th hour
0,20 € /hour from 13th hour on
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 05:18 AM

Never did anything like that. Its really safe?
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 05:20 AM
Original Poster

This was all great advice and I will use it all. Actually never thought about our luggage. We always just take carry-on and I guess I just assumed they would have lockers or something, so thanks so much for that info.
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 06:08 AM

The left luggage rooms are guarded. I haven't used the one in Verona in years, but I know that in florence you must show ID in order to leave your bag--safe.