Venice to Rome Travel Problem

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2006, 10:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have 2 nights in Venice at the end of our 2 week Italy vacation before heading back to Rome to catch our flight. The problem is that we have such an early morning flight on our departure day (7:30am) that I am wondering what the best plan would be with regards to accommodations the night prior to leaving. We were considering taking an overnight/sleeper train from Venice but it arrives in Rome about 5am so we feel that may be pushing it too close. Also, I am pretty sure trains don't run to the airport at that hour. Any suugestions on what is best to do? We want to make the most of our 2 1/2 days in Venice (short time I know) so we don't want to leave too early the day before. How difficult is taxi and train service in the early morning if we stayed in Rome? Should we stay near the airport? Advice??
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 12:04 AM

Hi

What about flying from Venice to Rome that morning - about an hour flight. Try this link to search an airline - http://flyaow.com/airsimpframe.htm. I keyed some dummy data and it seemed that Lufthansa can do an early flight.

Good luck
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 09:16 AM
ira

Hi T,

It is one of my axioms to spend the night before the flight in the city from which the plane will depart.

Too much can go wrong getting from Venice to Rome.

First train from Rome TE to FCO is 5:52.

Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 09:18 AM

I wouldn't want to trust either the overnight train or an early flight. What if the flight is late? Then you miss your flight home. Much better to be in Rome the night before.

If you're going to be back in Rome early enough to enjoy the evening and dinner there, I would stay in the city. If you're going to get there fairly late, you might as well stay at the airport. You can get one of the shuttle companies to pick you up very early in the city to get you out to the airport. I used www.airportshuttle.it, 26E for the first person and I think 6E for each additional person.
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

Okay, so if we decide to stay near the airport does anyone know of any decent hotels? Doesn't have to be fancy, just clean! Are there hotels that anyone can reccommend literally right next to the airport or are they still a shuttle ride away?

Sraying in Rome would be nice but the ealier in the day we leave Venice the less we get to enjoy our limited time there (that is less than two days). I guess it is just a matter of making a choice and sticking with it.
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 12:48 PM

The Hilton Hotel is at the airport travelbelle and there is a Holiday Inn not far from the airport which I understand has a shuttle bus to the airport. Also, many people stay in Rome the night before and make arrangements through their Rome hotel they are staying at to get them a taxi or shuttle bus to the airport and from everything I have read that always seems to work well.

I too would get to Rome the day before as heaven help you if there is an air controllers strike, a train strike, the train is late etc. right before your flight home from Rome. So I agree with Ira and his thoughts.
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 01:53 PM
mjs

I agree with ira's axiom when it comes to international flights or flights which connect to international flights. This axiom however may not apply to you if you have a ticket which is refundable or easily changed without penalty or if the cost of a replacement flight is of no issue to you. Loss of time if you miss your flight may also be a consideration
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 02:24 PM
ira

Hi T,

>Staying in Rome would be nice but the ealier in the day we leave Venice the less we get to enjoy our limited time there...<

You don't have to stay at the airport.

Take the 16:32 to Rome. Check in at your hotel and have a late dinner.

Have your hotel arrange for a taxi to take you to Rome TE (about 15E) or to the airport (about 50E).

Train schedules for Rome to Aeroporto Fiumicino are at www.trenitalia.com - 9.5E pp.