Search

Venice to Innsbruck through the overnight at Dolomites

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2018, 10:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Venice to Innsbruck through the overnight at Dolomites

Hi,

We are couple in thirties, with 3 years old son, visiting this wonderful in second week of September. If we would have sufficient time, would be easy. But we have short time and here I am looking for your help.
We are driving from Venice and will reach Dolomites region by noon. It is not a long drive, so we are assuming that we would be tired and we should be able to utilize this half day. Next day, we would leave around 4 pm towards Bolzano and then up.

Please suggest, where should we stay ? What route and places should we visit ? If we have to one scenic cable car, which one do you suggest ?
Being so many routes and places, we are overwhelmed. Being visiting with toddler, long walks are not possible. We are doing overnight here, so that it can give us opportunity to see this place and do some quick photography.

Appreciate your help.
Old Jul 2nd, 2018, 07:31 AM

One route I took by train and bus might be nice with car - we went to Cortina d'Ampezzo - site of long ago Winter Olympics and neat town in mountains then shot thru an gap inn mountains over to Austria andn Brenneron area not far from Innsbruck.
Old Jul 2nd, 2018, 08:02 AM

Oh I Love Cortina, is such a beautiful place in the mountains. I recommend that too!
Old Jul 2nd, 2018, 08:11 AM

And the driving thru mountains is fairly easy - at least way the bus took.
Old Jul 2nd, 2018, 08:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
With so little time, rather than identifying a scenic cable car to aim for, I would take a route that crossed as many mountain passes as possible. For me, the Dolomites are most scenic at the passes.

I would drive from Venice to Cortina (about 2.5 hours) and then take SP638 over Passo Giau (less than an hour) which I think is the most dramatic of the passes. After Passo Giau, the road will change numbers a couple of times but go in the direction of Cernadoi and then go south/west on SR48 which will take you to Passo Pordoi and the town of Canazei (90 minutes from Giau). After Canazei, take SS242 over Passo Sella and into the Val Gardena. From the Val Gardena area, it's about 2 hours to Innsbruck.

https://tinyurl.com/y6vae5a7 [Google map of route described.]

You could stay in one of the little ski towns along this route (such as Canazei) or push on to Ortisei (aka Urtijei). I would have reservations before you arrive. If you zoom in on the map in the areas of the passes, you'll see lines indicating ski lifts, cable cars, etc. Not many will be operating.
Old Jul 2nd, 2018, 08:44 AM

One of our favorite hotels from all our trips is along this route. It's called Uhrerhof Deur. It's run by a family and is one of the most beautiful places we've ever stayed. It has 5 stars on Trip Advisor as well. There are also incredible scenic drives in that area, some of which have gondolas near them I believe. Not far to the east is a loop road that goes over several mountain passes.

Edit to add directions:
From Venice you go west on E70 and then at Verona you turn north on A22. At Bolzano you go northeast on SS12. From there it's not far. Likely 3 to 4 hour trip, so not bad.

Last edited by Wekiva; Jul 2nd, 2018 at 08:55 AM.
Old Jul 2nd, 2018, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your suggestions and nice idea, though I came up with few more questions.
Wekiva: Hotel Uhrerhof-Deur doesn't have availability on my dates.
Originally Posted by Jean
With so little time, rather than identifying a scenic cable car to aim for, I would take a route that crossed as many mountain passes as possible. For me, the Dolomites are most scenic at the passes.

I would drive from Venice to Cortina (about 2.5 hours) and then take SP638 over Passo Giau (less than an hour) which I think is the most dramatic of the passes. After Passo Giau, the road will change numbers a couple of times but go in the direction of Cernadoi and then go south/west on SR48 which will take you to Passo Pordoi and the town of Canazei (90 minutes from Giau). After Canazei, take SS242 over Passo Sella and into the Val Gardena. From the Val Gardena area, it's about 2 hours to Innsbruck.

You could stay in one of the little ski towns along this route (such as Canazei) or push on to Ortisei (aka Urtijei). I would have reservations before you arrive. If you zoom in on the map in the areas of the passes, you'll see lines indicating ski lifts, cable cars, etc. Not many will be operating.
Jean:
- Should I go to Cortina and then Passo Giau or I should go to Belluno (skip Cortina) and then Passo Giau ?
- If I want to break your suggested route it in day1 and day2, should it go in below order ?
day-1: Venice-Passo Di Giau-Cernadoi-Pordoi Pass-Canazei and stay
day-2: Leave Canazei - Alpe Di Siusi-Passo Sella-Val Gardena

After Val Gardena, I will be just 30 minutes far from hitting A22. Is there any other place or loop, I should be looking on day2 ? To utilize my time maximum in Dolomite area, I can leave in evening and see motorway later. What do you suggest ?
Old Jul 2nd, 2018, 10:42 AM

I'd stay in Cortina without a doubt. But unlike Jean I'd continue towards the passo Falzarego from Cortina. There you have a cable car to the rifugio Lagazuoi. Best views in the Dolomites in my opinion (and a restaurant). Try the casunziei, beetroot pasta typical of the region.

Another option is just before the Passo Falzarego, the 5 Torri chair lift. You have three restaurants up there: Scoiattoli right by the lift, Averau (some 30m walk) and Nuvolau (but maybe 1 hour walk). You can also take a chair lift directly to Averau if you continue towards the passo Giau from Cortina, from the other side of the mountain.
Old Jul 2nd, 2018, 03:13 PM

"- Should I go to Cortina and then Passo Giau or I should go to Belluno (skip Cortina) and then Passo Giau ?
- If I want to break your suggested route it in day1 and day2, should it go in below order ?
day-1: Venice-Passo Di Giau-Cernadoi-Pordoi Pass-Canazei and stay
day-2: Leave Canazei - Alpe Di Siusi-Passo Sella-Val Gardena"

I would prefer to experience Passo Giau as a "one way" drive. Approach from Cortina, descend the other side. If you skipped Cortina, you don't save time or distance and would ascend the pass on the west side, turn around, and descend the same way you drove up.

There are many ways you can go, including Ticino's suggestions. I personally wouldn't stay in Cortina for the one overnight you have but would push on in the direction of one of the passes. Canazei would make a good halfway point if you can find lodging. Whether you fit in a short walk anywhere will obviously depend on the weather which can change quickly, so be alert and check forecasts if you can.

After Val di Gardena, you could take a longer, much slower route through the Val di Funes to Santa Maddalena for the iconic view of the church, onward to Piccolino/Pikolein, north toward Brunico/Bruneck, then west to reach the A22. Some of this route is on single track (one lane) roads, but they are very safe and scenic, albeit slow.

https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/p...aphy/588472829

Another long way to Innsbruck would go from Val di Gardena to Bolzano, Merano, St. Leonhard in Passeier to Innsbruck. I don't remember any single-track segments, but there are a few tunnels, a series or two of hair-pin turns and pretty scenery along a river, through forests, small towns, etc. We were fascinated by the Ice Man Museum in Bolzano and enjoyed walking the arcaded streets in Merano.

If you feel you don't have time for either of these detours, or the weather isn't clear and dry, you could just go to Bressanone/Brixen and stroll around the town. It also has some arcaded streets and interesting architecture.

I might take a cable car lift if I came across one along the way but probably wouldn't leave my route to reach it. I personally wouldn't take a chair lift with a 3 year old.
Old Jul 2nd, 2018, 10:46 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jean
"After Val di Gardena, you could take a longer, much slower route through the Val di Funes to Santa Maddalena for the iconic view of the church, onward to Piccolino/Pikolein, north toward Brunico/Bruneck, then west to reach the A22. Some of this route is on single track (one lane) roads, but they are very safe and scenic, albeit slow.

Another long way to Innsbruck would go from Val di Gardena to Bolzano, Merano, St. Leonhard in Passeier to Innsbruck. I don't remember any single-track segments, but there are a few tunnels, a series or two of hair-pin turns and pretty scenery along a river, through forests, small towns, etc. We were fascinated by the Ice Man Museum in Bolzano and enjoyed walking the arcaded streets in Merano.
I can see few lodging availability at Canazei on our dates.

Thanks for additional suggestions.

Santa Maddalena is beautiful and I would like to see this 'for sure'. Hopefully, we can see good weather.

From Santa Maddalena, I will have 2 options. (a) Piccolino/Pikolein, north toward Brunico/Bruneck, A22 and (b) Go back to Bolzano, Merano, St. Leonhard in Passeier and up. Both are taking almost same time. Do you suggest one over other option from photographic point of view ?

I am assuming A22 motorway is not scenic, which can be taken only when I am running short of time (if I don't want to leave Dolomite area soon) or weather turns bad.

Another suggestion I am looking for is this one. I will one extra night, which I can add to Mittenwald (I am already spending one night here), or Dolomites or on the way of option (a) or (b) mentioned above, from your suggestion.
Old Jul 3rd, 2018, 07:26 AM

"From Santa Maddalena, I will have 2 options. (a) Piccolino/Pikolein, north toward Brunico/Bruneck, A22 and (b) Go back to Bolzano, Merano, St. Leonhard in Passeier and up. Both are taking almost same time. Do you suggest one over other option from photographic point of view ?"

I don't like backtracking unless there is no alternative, so I'd pick one route or the other. The Val di Funes is more scenic IMO, but there are a few tunnels after SM and the single track parts are a little tough on the driver who has to focus on the road more than the scenery in many spots. Weather would be #1, and I'd rather spend a couple of hours in Bolzano and/or Bressanone than drive mountain roads in the rain. The Ice Man Museum in Bolzano would not feel like a second choice activity.

Look on YouTube for videos on the two drives.
Old Jul 3rd, 2018, 08:18 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Jean. Its been great great help. Appreciate it.
Old Jul 8th, 2018, 12:05 PM

I wouldn't go to Bolzano/Bozen if you have 2 days only.
Either
Venice - Belluno - Cortina - Falzarego Pass - Corvara - Gardena Pass - Ortisei - Chiusa - Vipiteno - Innsbruck
resp
Venice - Belluno - Agordo - Caprile - Pordoi Pass - Canazei - Sella Pass - Ortisei - Chiusa - Vipiteno - Innsbruck
or
Venice - Belluno - Cortina - Misurina - Toblach - Lienz - Grossglockner - Zell am See - Innsbruck