Dolomites and Venice - Help with Itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2009, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We were trying to go to Russia (!) with a river tour, but now the plans have changed (tour sold out).

Considering Flying into MIlan, spending 2 days there and then getting a train to Bolzano. Stay there for 3 days, take mountain lifts, trip to Merano, etc., and then what??

Should we get a car and do the Grande Strada delle Dolomiti into Cortina? Keep the car for a few days once there or depend on local transport to get around? Stay in Cortina or go to Kastlerut or Ortisei? Read a lot of enthusiasm for this last town.

How would we get from there to Venice? Time and money considerations for this connection.
Old Jul 15th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Anyone??
Old Jul 15th, 2009, 12:35 PM

I love the Dolomites but you really need a car. We are going back in Sep--after a week in Venice--and our son and family are going this week. I see no reason to stay in Bolzano for 3 nites--perhaps one nite--but then get your car and explore the region. We like Ortisei as a base camp, but Castelrotto is charming as well. Yes, do take the famous drive from there to Cortina--spend a nite--and then on to Venice to drop the car. I see the Dolomite scenario taking 4 or 5 nites total unless you want some hiking in the Val Gardena.
Old Jul 15th, 2009, 12:39 PM

When is Kenav going to the Dolomites?
Old Jul 15th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Thought of staying in Bolzano for at least a couple of nights to see it and take a day trip by train or bus to Merano.

So, your suggestion is to pick up the car in Bolzano and drive first to Cortina? (BTW: How is the drive going along the Grande Strada delle Dolomiti into Cortina? Are there any rails along the edge of the road? My husband would be doing the driving and those high altitude no rail, roads really unnerve him.)

After Cortina go to Ortisei or Casstelrotto for a few nights? Wonder if dropping the car in Venice will be mucho expensive since we're retuning it to a different city.

I thought of the possibility of NO car because I'v read about all the cable cars, etc., that are easy to get to and will take you up the mountains. Sounded like you didn't need a car.
Old Jul 15th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

greg - If we go it will be in mid-September.
Old Jul 15th, 2009, 01:07 PM

You need a map. Cortina is well east of Ortisei and would be your last stop in the Dolomites. And, why not drive to Merano?

No car drop charge in Italy--just different countries.
The roads are all good--not a problem.
Old Jul 15th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

You're right. Cortina IS well east of Ortisei.

Now thinking - why fly into Milan. Maybe fly into Venice & get car there; do the Dolomite part of the trip, then back down to Venice, get rid of car and Venice for 6 days.

Any comments?
Old Jul 15th, 2009, 03:17 PM

I agree--why Milan?
And, you can use different routes to/from Venice to include Verona or Lake Garda on your return--check it out.