PARIS RESTAURANTS IN ARIND. 4 & 5

Old Apr 15th, 2009, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PARIS RESTAURANTS IN ARIND. 4 & 5

RESTAURANTS CLOSE TO 24 RUE DES BERNARDINS
Hello to my French fodorite friends! We (4 lady cousins) have rented an apt on Rue des Bernardins (close to Notre Dame) and are looking for lots of advice! This will be at the beginning of Oct. & we've rented through vacation in paris. The metro is stated as Metro - Maubert Mutualite Line 10 (which I don't have a clue what that even means at this point!) I'm designated to be the researcher since I don't drive and the others will be having to do that part of the trip (12 days with home base of Ste Guileme le Desert & 5 days in Paris). At this point we have decided on a day-trip to Versaille and other than that, our days in Paris have not been decided upon. Right now, I am looking for restaurants (we are only planning on one real 'splurge', others to be 'nice' but we don't want to pay $100US pp every evening!) Also, we would love to attend a church service, some shopping, window shopping, tourist stuff (none of us are museum buffs however will still plan to do a few I think). I'm more interested in old churches and architecture. I've learned a lot from reading here and have posted a bit as well but now that we have our apt. confirmed, would anyone be able to advise some nice restaurants close to where we will be staying. At this point I can't imagine catching a bus - we don't speak French (I am enrolling in a 6 wk. conversational French language class). Shopping close by? We're not interested in shopping in ultra rich-type stores as we can't afford this so consider this a waste of time. One thing however is that we would love to attend a fashion show, we think it would be so fun. Anyway - we're just looking for direction at this point and would love to hear from anyone with any pointers! Regarding packing for 2 1/2 wks. - is it really true that you can pack everything you need in a carry-on bag? I find that hard to believe however I'm definitely interested in trying!!! Thanks!!
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 01:54 PM

This is what's known as a "run-on" paragraph - LOL. I'm trying to figure out what you want to know but it's difficult without any breaks between thoughts.

I'll start with the packing. You say you are 4 women and will be renting a car. You have to pack so that you get everyone and their luggage into the car. Keep that in mind! That means small, soft-sided suitcases. I'm sure you'll find that there are things the cousins can share - books, maps, accessories to dress up outfits, toiletries such as stomach meds, aspirin, etc. so everyone doesn't bring her own supply. That will cut down on some space in the suitcase.

The Metro is the subway (underground). The stop is called Maubert Mutualite and it's on subway line 10. It's a reference point for your area.

It's great that you've enrolled in a French language course. Don't be discouraged if you don't learn a lot since 6 weeks isn't enough time to learn a language but you will pick up some useful words/phrases. French people who interact with tourists will speak English, even if it's only a little bit. In Paris you won't have a problem speaking English.

Get a Paris map (I like Streetwise) and a map for the south (Michelin is good) before your trip.

I love churches too! You'll find lots of beautiful churches in Paris and the rest of France.

I'd like to hear about St-Guilhem-le-Desert and why you chose that location.
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 02:38 PM

Maubert-Mutualite is on Blvd. St. Germaine in the 5th.

If you want inexpensive Chinese/Thai food there is The Rose of Summerard on Rue Summerard at Rue St. Jacques.

On Rue Thenard, just off of Blvd. St. Germaine, there is Pre-Verre.

There is a Starbuck's on Blvd. St. Michel just across the street from the Cluny Museum. Next door is a takeaway Monoprix.

On Rue Cujas, near the Pantheon, there is Cosi--recommended by Seamus.

There are tons of cafes on Blvd. St. Germaine.

Thin
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 03:39 PM

Do you like Moroccan food? Couscous and tagines? We just returned from Paris on Sunday, and really enjoyed our dinner at ATLAS, 174 Blvd. St. Germaine.

We also enjoyed a light outdoor lunch and wonderful views of Ile. St. Louis at "Le Lutetia", 33, quai Bourbon. This area is in back and slightly to the right of Notre Dame, as you head toward the Right Bank.

In the 4th, there are tons of wonderful and cheap ethnic restaurants, but do you like that or are you looking for French food?
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 03:47 PM

I gave you the wrong address for ATLAS. Sorry! It should be: Atlas, 12 Blvd. St. Germaine. It is in the 5th.
Old Jul 15th, 2009, 02:50 PM

Hi Micah3:

Your trip sounds fantastic! I hope you get some good recommendations.

I will be going to Paris in August and I, too, will be staying in the 4th and looking to find some good restaurants. I read a suggestion somewhere of going to the top of the Centre Pompidou where there is a restaurant with gorgeous views named "Georges". It is in the 4th.
Also recommended was "L'Ambroisie" in the 4th. I have not been to either restaurants but have heard good things. Here is the website for L'Ambroisie: http://www.ambroisie-placedesvosges.com/

I will post my trip report of Paris upon my return and will be sure to mention restaurant reviews for your referral.

Good luck with your research!!

Weadles: the Morrocan place sounds great! What a coincidence, I was just watching a chef on TV today make Chicken Tagine and it looks amazing! lol.
Old Jul 15th, 2009, 03:22 PM

bookmarking