Notices

Venice to Florence - Train Info

Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 01:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Venice to Florence - Train Info

I need to get to Florence this coming Monday, 4/6 from Venice to Florence. Anything that anyone can share would be greatly appreciated. Also, where's the easiest place to meet someone in Florence from the train station that I will arrive at.
Thanks for any info ~
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 02:04 AM

Hi MYC - You can find details on train schedules/ fares on:

www.trenitalia.it/en/index.html

You will arrive at Florence SMN (- Santa Maria Novella) station.

Are you looking for a meeting place in the station - or in the city centre?

In the station you could arrange to meet in -

- Sala d'Attesa (- Waiting Room)
- McDonalds
- Chef Express
- Bar (- near platform 16)
http://tinyurl.com/cv7ydy

Alternatively in the city centre you could perhaps arrange to meet at the cathedral entrance (- 10 mins walk from the station).

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 03:58 AM

Let us know how the trip went.
I am planning a trip for my family flying to Venice, train to Florence, train to Rome & possibly train to Naples to fly back to Liverpool. I might have to do this in reverse as I am looking to get best prices on easyjet or probably ryanair.
At the station you seem to need to use the yellow ticket stampers to validate a ticket & pay extra to book a seat. Internet booking gets a discount.
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 04:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info one & all! BTW, johngerard, I'll let you know how we do on that train ride.
Happy travels
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 04:17 AM

There is a train just about every hour on Mondays, at 43 minutes after the hour. In some hours there are 2 trains.

The fast trains take 2 hours 40 minutes.

If you are lucky, you can get an Amica fare, which locks you in to a fixed departure time and allows no changes -- but saves you 20 percent. You get an additional 5 percent off for Internet booking.

With a "fixed date and time" tkt, we did not need to validate the tkt before entraining.

Trenitalia seems to book all its passengers into 1 or 2 carriages (2nd class) but you will likely find that there are multiple empty carriages into which you can move, if you don't like crowds. We travelled Florence to Venice is solitary splendour, a couple of weeks ago -- the conductor does not care if you move into an empty carriage.

Re a meeting point: I strongly support the idea of meeting in the station itself. The sala d'attesa is to your right as you emerge from the trains. The central ticket hall is to its left. (Directions reversed, of course, for the person coming to meet you.)

My reasoning is: The road in front of and beside (south of) the station is totally dug up right now. "You can't get there from here" is a frequent refrain. Let someone else lead you out of the station!
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 05:08 AM

The x43 trains to Florence are ES. As of April 1, it appears that the Amica discounts are no longer applicable for the ES trains (except EScity). They can still be had for the IC which take a little longer than ES.

New discounts are now being offered but require advance purchase. A new ES discount is 15% off but must be purchased min 7 days in advance.

Check trenitalia's site for details of other new discounts including one for 60% off with 30 day advance purchase (and other restrictions). There is also a heavily discounted fare if you want to go and return on the same day on ES trains - also advance purchase.
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 05:54 AM

The new 30 & 60% discounts seem to be for a limited # train combos and require same-day RT as well as advance purchase reqs.
Check trenitalia.com for info on the new discounts and changes to Amica fares.
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 05:59 AM

My two children and I did the train from Rome to Florence then onto Venice - it was great - the rail service there very easy to manuver.
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 06:01 AM

here's a link to all the new promotions:

http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/inde...003f16f90aRCRD
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 06:10 AM

Sorry, my bad, the new 30 & 60% discounts do NOT require same day RT but do require advance purchase.