Venice Sights

May 22nd, 2001, 11:18 AM
Frank

Venice Sights

How much time is a reasonable amount to explore each of the following sights?

Doges Palace
San Marco Basilica
Accademia

Thanks.

May 22nd, 2001, 11:28 AM
Cecilie

I would allow several hours each for both the Basilica and the Doges Palace. It also depends on how long the lines are to get in. I can highly recommend getting tickets to the 'Secret Itinerary' tour for the Doges Palace. It allows you to see more of the Palace, like the torture chamber, than you would see normally. The tour is only held once a day in English so you need to make reservations. Have fun!

May 22nd, 2001, 11:49 AM
janice

Depends on your interest in/tolerance for churches, mosaics, architecture etc. but I can spend 3 or 4 hours in the Basilica every time I go to Venice. You might get a little better idea of timing if you check out a guide book that has lots of illustrations - Dorling Kinderlay has some? You'll love it there....

May 22nd, 2001, 11:58 AM
Beth H

How far in advance to you have to make reservations for the "secret tour"? Is the day before OK? I'm interested in doing that when I'm in Venice in a few weeks.

Thanks!

May 22nd, 2001, 12:04 PM
Tim

Janice: Am I missing something. What is in the San Marco Basilica that you can spend 3 to 4 hours looking at. I am not be a smart ---.

May 22nd, 2001, 12:10 PM
elaine

It was my understanding that the Secret Itinerary tour was available only in Italian. If English tours are also available that's great. Do you know the time of day and/or seasonal schedule?

May 22nd, 2001, 12:20 PM
Donna

Where/how can I book the Secret Itinerary tour?

Thanks.

May 22nd, 2001, 12:31 PM
elaine

I only have information on the Secret Itinerary offered in Italian:
June-Sept, daily except Wednesdays,
at 10 and noon.
Make the request at the Doge's Palace ticket window or have your hotel inquire at phone 041 52-24-951

www.goeurope.about.com/travel/goeurope/
library/venice/aa081197.htm

I'd still love to find out some details on this tour in English

May 22nd, 2001, 12:36 PM
janice

Mosaics. There are acres (literally) of mosaics, with dozens of saints, dozens of scenes from the Bible, hundreds of religious symbols.
The floor also is completely covered with very small patterned stones.
I work in visual design, and always find ideas there...

May 22nd, 2001, 01:25 PM
joe

3 hours seems way to much time for the basilica, unless you are really a student of architecture.The real joy of Venice is just being there. Wander around, get lost, ride the vaparretos.There is no place like it in Europe.

May 22nd, 2001, 01:38 PM
janice

When I go to Venice, I'm there for 4 to 6 days - I can spare a half day to go to the Basilica. Thank you for your opinion

May 22nd, 2001, 01:41 PM
theresa

I made reservations for the Secret Itinery Tour given in English when I was in Venice last year. I dont' have the phone number at the moment, but I got it out of a tour book. I will post tomorrow for you. I called about a week before we left (from U.S) and the man answering the phone took care of it.

May 22nd, 2001, 04:07 PM
donna

Thanks for the link. I have e-mailed my hotel to see if they know if the tour is available in English, and if they can reserve it for me.

I'll post their answer.

May 23rd, 2001, 05:17 AM
donna

According to an e-mail I just got from La Calcina - the tour is also available in English.

Donna

May 23rd, 2001, 09:00 AM
elaine

found the Secret Itinerary information on travelocity:
In Italian daily at 10am and noon
In English daily at 10:30

reserve in advance at ticket-buyer's entrance or by calling 041 522 4951

By the way, speaking of Venice Sights here are two printable
"tours" of the grand canal which identify the major buildings you will see on a vaporetto #1 ride
between Piazzele Roma and San Marco.
Piazzale Roma and San Marco:
http://www.stb.dircon.co.uk/
venice_guide.pdf

www.commune.venezia.it/rol2/
ling21.asp?F=nf_r

May 23rd, 2001, 01:55 PM
Paulo

Frank,

We usually start attending morning mass in the Basilica (8:30am, lateral door on the left, no queue, if asked just say you want to attend mass). During mass one may admire the inside as a whole. The front doors are opened some 15-20 minutes after mass. During this time we have the Basilica just for ourselves (and some other 15 people). When we visit it all (Pala d'Oro, Loggia, etc.) we're done around 10:30am. Of course, we're not pressed to spend more time there because a future visit is always assured

The next stop is invariably the Palace from where we exit around 12:45pm (normal visit including Bridge of Sights from within and dungeons, but not the secret itinerary).

The time needed to visit the Accademia may be anything (a friend of mine spent 1 hour with the two Boticelli masterpieces). IMO you should allow a minimum of 2 hours (we normally use 3). I'd recommend you to visit the Accademia between 1pm and 4pm, when most churches are closed anyway.

Paulo

May 27th, 2001, 07:39 AM
eva

I was on the Secret Itinerary tour in English yesterday, started at 11.30.I'm not sure about the other times, but I think there are 2 more tours in English.Price is 24000 ITL,but the entrance of the normal tour is included.The Secret tour is very interesting.For the normal tour take a good guidebook,or the audioguide,1 1/2 hours.
San Marco closes at 5pm,but it is not closed for lunchtime.Most of the other churces are closed from 12-4.
After entering the church go first up the gallery,after that go to the treasury-entrance from the right transept-where an audioguide is included
in ticket,and do not forget to see the Pala d'Oro.Visiting the church -inside- took me a bit more than an hour,including everything.
Accademia opens at 8.15 in the morning.Go early,because after 10am hundreds are waiting outside.I took an audioguide,and after that re-visited the best parts again, the visit took some 2 hours.
Rgds
Eva

May 27th, 2001, 08:39 AM
elaine

eva
thanks for the updated info

Oct 26th, 2002, 06:29 AM
DJ

topping for lesley

Oct 26th, 2002, 08:35 PM
Laurie

I would like to know how much it would cost for 2 adults and 2 students to take the secret tour of Doge's Palace. Anybody know? Thank you! Laurie