Search

Venice and Veneto itinerary check

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2005, 08:25 AM
yk
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Venice and Veneto itinerary check

If you don't mind looking at my itinerary and tell me your thoughts.

10/18
Arrive in Marco Polo airport at 4pm. Take it easy the rest of the day.

10/19 (Wed)
Guggenheim
Accademia
Ca' Rezzonico
Frari
Scuola di San Rocco

10/20 (Thurs)
Daytrip to Padova, Vicenza, Verona - I know, you're going to tell me that that's too much, but that's the way it's gonna be

10/21 (Fri)
San Marco (basilica, secret Doge tour)
La Fenice tour (if possible)
Rialto
Ca' d'Oro
Ca' Pesaro

10/22 (Sat)
Scuola di San Giorgio degli Schiavoni
Scuola Santi Giovanni e Paolo
then either:
Venice Biennale or trip to Burano/Torcello

10/23 (Sun)
depart
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 11:51 AM

ok I'll start.
Stop it right now. Venice is about exploring, having an adventure, getting lost. Great to hit 1 or 2 major sites, but wander and enter and see the city during that time. Stop and rest and people watch. Enjoy!
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 01:30 PM

That will get you your Venice merit badge, but you may be tired. Plan on a 2 hour lunch mid day.
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 02:13 PM
yk
Original Poster

This is funny. The Venice itinerary is <b>much</b> less hectic than my usual travel style.

Assuming I'm spending 1 hr at each sight (on average), that's still only 5 hours out of a usual 8-hour sightseeing day, which leave plenty of time for wandering/getting lost and a relaxing lunch.

No?
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 11:27 PM

Of the 1st day I'd pick 3 and persnonally consider it a very very busy day! I love Ca'Rezzonico and the Guggenheim and am particularly fond of wandering aorund that area.
You should allow at least 3 hours for the Doges Palace - the secret itineraries tour I think runs for 90 minutes and that's not seeing the main parts of the building. I generally recommend to people that they make 2 trips - one for the secret tour and one for the rest, but I guess you'll be doing it all at once. Take a bit of time out before launching into the Basilica to sit in San Marco - prhaps a quick coffee at Florians!

The tour of the Fenice is well worth while - book it as soon as you arrive in Venice.
Old Sep 20th, 2005, 05:56 AM

I was the one who said that Schiavoni get *** from Michelin, but I think that you'll get your chance to see a Carpaccio narrative cycle (St. Ursula) at Accademia. The other one is St. George, I think. In other words, I'd personally not rate Schiavoni so highly (but I've not been).

I don't know how important Paolo is. It's noted for being the church where Doges are buried (the Colleoni statue is outside). I've not been at all.

In fact, I've not been to that many attractions in Venice (as you know), but it won't prevent me from opining.

On 10/19, I'd rate Ca' Rezzonico the lowest (i.e. skip if no time). Next to go would be Peggy Guggenheim. (Obviously I've not been to either.)

10/20: Have you investigated what the transportation options are among the three? Though I've not been to Vicenza or Verona, skip Vicenza if you don't have time. It's known for Teatro Olimpico but gets ** from Michelin, I think.

10/21: What's in Ca' Pesaro?

To throw a wrench into your calculations, I'd suggest investigating Carlo Scarpa's work in Venice:

http://www.studiocleo.com/gallerie/scarpa/olivetti.html

I wish that I had done the research for it, but given my 24 h in Venice, I don't think that I could have looked into much.

I'd be curious to know if the Olivetti showroom was really converted into a shop that sells Dali/Picasso prints. Maybe you can check for me.

A Fodorite alerted me to his work at Querini Stampalia Foundation. It had a Kiki Smith exhibition when I was there.

http://www.studiocleo.com/gallerie/s...liography.html

I'd rate the Biennale more highly than you would. It's worth an hour or two. My blog discussed it, but please go see that hilarious Vezzoli video (Italian Pavilion). Granted, it may appeal more to my sensibilities than yours. While at the Giardini, take a look at Messager's work also (at the French Pavilion). She won the Golden Lion.

And try to see the Rist installation at Stan Stae.

As for the Arsenale, apparently the Guatemalan artist won the award for best artist under 35 (according to a Le Monde review I skimmed this morning). Most of the reviews mention her shocking work: For one thing she videotaped herself walking with blood on her feet (to protest inhumane practices against women, I think).

I couldn't really bear to watch her work. But I guess if I had known she had won, I might have given her a closer look.
Old Sep 20th, 2005, 05:26 PM
yk
Original Poster

Thanks 111op.

For 10/20, I've looked at train schedules on Trenitalia.com.
It's 30 mins from Venice-&gt;Padua
30 mins from Padua-&gt;Vicenza
30 mins from Vicenza-&gt;Verona

Vicenza is quite appealing because of Palladio's architecture and the Teatro.

Most of Verona's site is open until 7:30pm, so that's why it's last on the list.

Ca'Pesaro has modern art + Asian art (which I'll probably skip)

I haven't had a chance to check out Biennale's website.
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 03:32 AM

Good planning for day trip.

Not to give my blog too much credit, but there'll a lot of useful stuff on the Biennale on it. In particular, print out some of the reviews to take with you (I gave a link to some other guy's blog). Most of the &quot;good&quot; stuff I've already mentioned.

As you know, I tend to do everything by the book.

As I said, do not miss the Vezzoli trailer. It's not a great piece of art, but it's at least funny (to me), and as it would appear, to many others.

Easily absorbed (if not forgotten).