VENICE RESTUARANTS

Old Jun 5th, 2000, 04:34 AM
Rose Wallace

VENICE RESTUARANTS

My husband and I will be spending 3 days in Venice the end of this month and are staying at the Rialto Bridge Hotel. Would like any suggestions with regard to where to eat and have sundowners. We like good traditional food. We also would like to know of restuarants that you can eat overlooking the Grand Canal. Any suggestions would be a great help. Any suggestions as to what we should see and on what days as we will be there over a Sunday and I dont know what will be closed.

Many thanks

Rose

Old Jun 5th, 2000, 07:35 AM
debra

Il Mercanti is wonderful for dinner. Excellent service and the food is great. We had a seven-course meal, with wine and paid approx. $100. It was delicious. Email me with any specific questions re: Venice--we just got back two weeks ago.

Old Jun 5th, 2000, 10:00 AM
kam

Osteria da Fiore is very good and would also recommend Al Covo and Ai Mercanti as well.Would not recommend aalla Madonna unless someone can swear we were only there on an "0ff Night." Al Covo used to be closed on Tuesday so that might be a choice for Sunday, but always check.

Old Jun 5th, 2000, 10:51 AM
richard j vicek

Good afternoon, Rose
My two suggesstions for ristorantes within Venezia are as follows:
POSTE VECIE, Rialto Pescheria, Ven. $$$
reservations a must, located in the Venice Fishmarket, excellant food...
RISTORANTE LA CARAVELLA, in Saturnia
Hotel at Via XXII Marzo, 2399, $$$$
reservations a must, located about two
blocks west of the Pza S. Marco, SW
corner.
Richard of La Grange Park, IL...

Old Jun 5th, 2000, 07:04 PM
dahlia

Sorry to hear about someone not enjoying the La Madonna. We were there last month and we had great dinner and paid only $65 for the 3 of us. I noticed most waiters speak/understand English. We asked our waiter for recommendation and we're glad we did! He recommended typical Venetian food i.e., pasta with cuttlefish, risotto with seafoods, etc. We've been recommending them to friends and co-workers who are going to Venice.

Old Jun 5th, 2000, 08:21 PM
amanda

Check out Gourmet magazine's January 2000 issue for a good article on authentic Venetian restaurants vs. touristy ones (I'm afraid that the Madonna fell into the latter category, as well as some of the other better-known ones).

Old Jun 6th, 2000, 11:10 AM
John

I highly recommend Al Covo. Although it doesn't have a view and is off of the canal on a side street, it is probably one of the best meals you can have in italy. The chef is world-renowned and his wife (actually from texas) is really sweet - she will probably take your order. To top it all off, the prices are much lower for a restaurant that has received this much attention in travel magazines and the press.

Old Jun 7th, 2000, 03:54 AM
maurice

Just got back from Venice and Florence. Highly recommend Fiaschetteria Toscana - 011-39-041-528-5281 right next to the Rialto Bridge. Excellent food and service. We were disappointed with our dinner at Al Covo. Fish was OK and prices were quite high. Try the fixed price lunch or dinner buffet at the Hotel Metropole around $30 per. Dinner even has entertainment. Have a great trip.

Old Jun 7th, 2000, 07:57 AM
Karen

My husband and I just returned from Venice and stayed near the Rialto Bridge as well. There are several outdoor eating areas right there by the bridge, one of which we ate it. It was good food, but you definitely pay for the scenery. We chalked it up to a fun night, but realized there were probably some better outdoor options by the river. Hopefully someone else has some suggestions.
We also ate at Da Ignazio, over past Campo San Polo somewhere. Great food, big portions, good prices, and had an outdoor eating patio, but not on the river. We did ask our waiter about recommendations of some other restaurants and he specifically mentioned the Toscana restaurant that has just been listed here. The Cavalla restaurant he said was so-so.
Happy eating! My mouth is watering already...

Old Jun 8th, 2000, 07:48 AM
Rose Wallace

Thank you Karen,Maurice,John,Amanda,Dahlia,RichardKam and Debra for giving me "food for thought". My mouth is watering and I appreciate your in put. However,I do have the restuarant names, but is it possible for you all to tell me where they are located or where I can get their phone numbers so as I can do reservations in advance. I cant wait to go and when I return, I will inform the forum of my choice of restuarants. Many thanks for all your help.

Old Jun 8th, 2000, 08:37 AM
elaine

Rose, try asking (or faxing) your hotel to make some reservations, it will save your phone bill.

Old Jun 15th, 2000, 10:24 AM
Lynn Peterson

My wife and I just returned from Venice. We did eat at La Madonna one night. It was a good experience for us, if somewhat touristy. We didn`t have a meat/fish course. Salad, pasta, vegies, wine, coffee and shared dessert was about 75,000 Lire, including service charge. Venice is truly magical. I wish I was returning tomorrow.

Old Jul 28th, 2000, 05:04 PM
topper2

Some more for Karen.

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 06:14 PM
topper

topping

Old May 2nd, 2001, 10:06 PM
Rex

topping for Vickie