Original Poster

venice restarant

Does anyone have a nice not too pricey
restaurant they would recommend in Venice

Is it worth being in St marks

I think seeing the canal would be a definite plus

thanks Kathy
Mar 16th, 2009, 04:53 PM

Everything near the Grand Canal is going to be outrageous in price, especially at dinnertime. There are several cafes in St. Marks, the most famous of which is probably Caffe Florian, but it's often packed solid. (It was closed for renovations when I was last there.) If you're up for a bit of a walk, head to Campo Santa Margherita in the Dorsuduro sestiere and eat at Albergo Antico Capon. Get the pumpkin gnocchi in sweet lemon cream sauce if you can. The restaurant is at the bottom of the only hostel in Dorsuduro but don't let that scare you. The patrons are mostly all locals and are very friendly. It is well off the beaten path, too, since it's a largely non-tourist frequented sestiere. Nearby, you can get THE best gelato in all of Venice, at Causin.
Mar 16th, 2009, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

oh Im starving from your description!!

How far a walk from Rialto is Dorsuduro?
would you happen to have another recommendation that is closer to the Rialto
section
we can of course walk out of the tourist area
But would prefer not TOO TOO far
Mar 16th, 2009, 07:14 PM

You might try La Bitta, in Calle Lunga San Barnaba. We dined well there a month ago. An easy 15 minute walk from Rialto.

http://www.fodors.com/world/europe/i...ew-155340.html
Mar 16th, 2009, 07:16 PM

This forum is really full of Venice restaurant recommendations. May I suggest trying the search function?
Mar 17th, 2009, 03:11 AM

Keep in mind that there are a lot of canals in Venice, and we prefer dining along one of the smaller canals as opposed to the Grand Canal. We just stop at some place that looks good as we explore the city--generally the further you get from the Grand Canal and P. San Marco, the better the pricing and less "touristy" the food.
Mar 17th, 2009, 03:14 AM

Kathy: I would strongly advise you to take Franco's advice above (and elsewhere) and do a search. Once you do, and you have further questions, it would be helpful if you state a budget so people know how you define "not too pricey."
Mar 19th, 2009, 04:15 PM

Dorsuduro from Rialto is roughly 8 minutes' walk. It's not terribly far. I would agree, though, that staying off the main canals is your best bet. It's also where you'll find some of the best food. There are plenty of places near Rialto to eat--lots of good sandwich bars and Venetian sandwiches are delicious--but restaurants will be higher priced.
Mar 19th, 2009, 05:01 PM

I love Osteria la Zucca. Your hotel should be able to help with walking directions.

http://www.lazucca.it/
Mar 19th, 2009, 05:41 PM

I enjoyed La Zucca, too. There are just too many restaurants to pick one. And your remarks in your original post are a bit vague.

What is "not too pricey" to you?

Is exactly what worth being in St Marks? Eating? Then no, definetly not. Piazza San Marco isn't a good place for dining.

You mention "seeing the canal" but not which canal. Eating along the Grand Canal has an awful lot of variables. Many spots are expensive, many have mediocre if best food, and many are very crowded.

You will see a lot of canals. Maybe you don't have to see one while you eat.

In the Rialto area, a very reasonable and quite good restaurant is Alla Madonna. No walking at all, but no view. No reservations. Easy to walk in if you're early. Lousy desserts, great fish.