venice rent apt or hotel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25th, 2005, 09:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A few friends and I are staying in Venice for about 4 to 5 days in November. Which is our best and cheapest option, rent an apartment or stay at a hotel?
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 04:25 AM

Some hotels in Venice are very cheap, probably cheaper than any apartment you'd find. Of course, most nice hotels in Venice are quite expensive as our good apartments. Some prefer hotels where there will be assistance with your luggage, help with local advice, and more service. Others think apartments are the best because you probably have more room to spread out and you can also save money by doing some cooking in if you want.

These choices are up to you, there is no definitive answer for either "cheapest" or "best" in this case.

But since there are a "few" of you, an apartment sounds worth checking out. Why not give us an actual figure you have in mind to spend and your requirements (number of people, number of bathrooms) and some of us may have some suggestions.
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 05:15 AM

I rented an apartment for 6 days; with 5 of us it was going to be way cheaper than a halfway decent hotel.

Try www.oikosvenice.com. They have lots of apartments of all sizes in every sestriere.

Have a great trip.
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 10:29 AM

First, in making your comparisons, recognize that it is common that a hotel will include a continental breakfast in their room rate; in an apartment, you have to buy it, or buy food and prepare it.

Also, apartments with more than one bathroom are not common, so you will want to consider that. A hotel may be more suitable in this aspect, depending on your group.

Also, on arrival, a hotel may be a lot easier to find than an apartment; I think the water taxi drivers know where the hotels are, but are unlikely to know the location of an apartment, or to have a way of getting close.

Most apartments prefer to rent by the week, and often, I think, from Saturday through Friday. Some will rent for shorter periods, but often at a higher daily rate, and you may find a complication if you are going to be there from Thursday through Monday, and the apartment you like is rented for the week before and after.

And of course in a hotel there is usually someone there to give you directions or recommendations or make a reservation for dinner or a gondola ride. In an apartment, you are pretty much on your own. But in an apartment you have a lot of freedom. You breakfast when you choose, not when the hotelier brings it to you, and you can nap in the afternoon without inconveniencing the maid.

Having said all this, I should confess that I travel with my wife, and we far prefer apartments, but we usually stay in one place for a whole week, and value the privacy, even from each other, of an apartment, and rarely use the concierge services at hotels.

Old Sep 30th, 2005, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for you advice. Here is more info: there are 4 people in our group, price range is $100 to $200 per night.
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 05:25 PM

I can offer the advice that upon my first trip to Venice I compared hotel and apartment prices. We ultimately did better in an apartment for various reasons.

We are returning in three weeks and renting from the same agency again. www.venicerentals.com. We have honestly felt that with being independent travelers the pros on an apartment have well outweighed the pros on a hotel, cost effectivness and space included.

Good luck in whatever you decided. If it were me travling with more than two people, I would honestly go with an apartment for more space if nothing else.
Old Oct 1st, 2005, 07:07 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I am a big fan of hotels, especially for just a few days, and especially if it is your first time to Venice.

If you can find an apartment that rents for 4-5 days I'm guessing that could be your cheapest option. But I really make use of the services hotels provide such as a nice breakfast, a front desk staff to help me understand things, the bar, etc.

I think apartments are great for staying somewhere a couple of weeks, when you want to set up to cook meals and like that.
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 04:04 AM

I'd definitely choose an apartment - so much more privacy and freedom., and probably much cheaper.

I stayed in a place close to the Frari that was very convenient - have as look at the website.

http://www.frari2000.it/

Have a wonderful time!
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 04:26 AM

Hi

If 4 people can get on well enough with each other to share an apartment see Ca'Duca Code 305 in "Larger Apartments and Palazzi" - http://www.viewsonvenice.com/_pro.htm.
Lovely balcony with Grand canale view.

Ciao