VENICE PARKING

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 03:01 AM
sANDY

VENICE PARKING

HEADING TO VENICE IN MAY, STAYING AT THE HOTEL IRIS AND NOT REAL CLEAR ON WHERE WE NEED TO LEAVE OUR CAR? IS IT SAFE TO KEEP PARKED FOR SEVERAL DAYS, SOMEONE SUGGESTED MESTRE/HOW DO WE THEN GET TO OUR HOTEL? HAS ANYONE STAYED AT THIS HOTEL? hAVE SIMILAR QUESTION FOR CINQUE TERRE/WHERE DO WE LEAVE CAR. NORESERVATIONS MADE THERE YET,HOPING TO FIND A PLACE ONCE WE ARRIVE/WHICH TOWN IS EASIEST FOR THAT?

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 06:00 AM
Wayne

Don't know where in Venice your hotel is located, but assuming it is somewhere in "downtown" Venice, you will have to leave your car at the Tronchetto parking area or the Piazzale Roma parking garage, which is very convenient but costs about $15 per day. For reservations ahead of time to park at the Piazzale Roma, which I recommend you do, try www.urbislimen.net or www.urbislimen.com. I'm sorry I don't recall which ending is correct, but this is the organization (called Urbis Limen) that is responsible for parking at the Piazzale Roma garage. You can pay ahead of time for a reserved spot and won't have to worry about the garage being full if you arrive at a busy time of year.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 06:21 AM
Heather

According to the hotel's site [http://www.irishotel.com/] you take a #1 or #82 vaporetto to San Toma, which is the closest stop.

For more information on the vaporetto lines, visit http://www.actv.it/ [click on the "English version" after the intro page]

I've never driven to Venice, but there are two options: parking in the Piazzale Roma, then taking either of the vaporetti choices to the same stop. Or, you can park in Mestre for less money and take the 8-10-minute train ride to Venice. Your car should be safe while it's parked; however, as with anywhere, don't leave anything in the car.

If you are going to be in Venice for several days, make sure that you buy either a 3-day vaporetto pass [validate it by punching the time on it before your first ride] or the new Venicecard [search here for more info or visit www.venicecard.com].

A search of the Forum netted nearly 20 posts with comments on the Hotel Iris. Just type in "Hotel Iris" and check the "match exact phrase" box and click on "search".

For the CT, parking depends upon the village and/or hotel you choose. Reservations are tight here. When we stayed in Riomaggiore and Monterosso in May 2000, we saw many people searching for accomodations for hours only to leave due to no vacancies. This exact topic has been covered by others with excellent advice if you search the Forum. Monterosso appeared to be the easiest place to park unless you stayed at a place "outside" of a town.

Have a wonderful vacation!

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 08:36 AM
zootsi

We were in Venice a year ago, and parked at Tronchetto. This is a huge indoor parking garage that is a few hundred feet from the Vaporetto dock. The garage was very easy to find, and seemed relatively safe.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 03:49 PM
Sandy

thanks for the above, still new to this, have read and absorbed much info, even got a cheaper car rental with auto europe!

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 05:12 PM
Jane

Sandy

When you arrive at the parking garage there is a possibility that a man (dressed to appear to be a parking attendent) will try to direct you where to park, ignore him and head straight for the parking garage. All he is trying to do is get you to take his expensive boat, the chances are your car will be towed ( we were lucky - not towed). Be forewarned, I was and still fell for it.