Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Venice-Paris Overnight Train Cabin assignments

Apr 7th, 2007, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

I purchased tickets for my family via the English version of Trenitlia.

We are in the same coach but I have bed numbers 42 and 46. And also, 11 and 15.

Are the beds in the same cabin (ie. 42 and 46)?

I'm traveling with children and they can't sleep with strangers?

Thanks.
Apr 7th, 2007, 07:38 AM

Mwairs-I can't help you, except to say I wouldn't THINK of taking an overnight train in Europe when you can get on a budget air carrier and be at your destination in an hour or less. Sorry, cannot see that at all.

You could fly out of Venice Marco Polo Airport for 39.99 Euro one way at 7:30am on Myair.com (or vueling.com) and be at Paris Orly at 9:10am. 1 hr. 50 min. I've flown myair-they were fine.

Why go through all that train hassle, of having your children sleep in different compartments, feeling awful, not sleeping well and unwashed when you get there? Can't see it.
Apr 7th, 2007, 07:48 AM

Sometimes those bed numbers on European trains are not in sequence.

Unfortunately, I cannot speak to your particular train but I do know on Elipsos services the beds in the same compartment are not numbered sequentially.

Hopefully someone else can comment.

Girlspytravel:

the OP has already purchased the train tickets. Why don't you save your "recommendadations" for a more appropriate individual?
Apr 7th, 2007, 07:55 AM

Dukey-I'm well aware that the OP has already bought the tickets-that does not however, in any way, prevent me from expressing my opinion about those travel arrangements.
Apr 7th, 2007, 08:04 AM

Excuse me, Grilspytravel, for viewing your opinion as more of a browbeating than anything else.

Using the words such as "hassle"

"children feeling awful"

"not sleeping well"

"unwashed"

AND you don't even know the answer to the OP's question.

Now that's MY opinion and if you have trouble with my disagreement I'm really not the least bit sorry.
Apr 7th, 2007, 08:06 AM

Dukey, dear, apparently you don't like it when someone expresses an opinion that YOU don't agree with-if so, then you shouldn't post here-as for me, I will continue to express my opinion (as you seem to do on a regular basis) on those posts I see fit.
Apr 7th, 2007, 08:08 AM

mwiars,
- first, i took the same onight train a couple of years ago and it was great. i'm 6.1' tall and slept comfortably. plus, it saves you one day that you'd lose by traveling during the day. but back to the main subject. - cabin assignment: when i was in the train, i saw some people exchanging them and you might be able to do that if you're not in the same cabin. i remember that each cabin/room had 4 beds and there were many many rooms per train wagon. if you cannot find people to exchange with in the same wagon, then try to talk to the train staff...
Again, I would try to get more info on this as I'm not sure if it's common practice or not.
Hope it helps.
Apr 7th, 2007, 08:28 AM
ira

HI MW,

Do your tickets also have a compartment number?

It is highly likely that 42/46 and 11/15 are in the same compartment.

I can't tell you if all four are in the same compartment.

If they are not, you could try to change berths with the other passengers to get the 4 of you together.

Most folks are amenable to rearranging.

Apr 7th, 2007, 08:30 AM

<<I wouldn't THINK of taking an overnight train in Europe>>

I'm sorry that I can't help you with the berth numbers either and do hope that you will not be sharing a compartment with strangers.

What I CAN tell you is that my son and I took the same overnight train from Venice to Paris in June of 2003 and it was a fun experience. We could walk to the train station in Venice instead of dealing with transportation to the airport and we loaded up on food while waiting to depart. We also didn't need to hassle with getting into Paris from the outlying airport. That in itself was worth while and we saved on a hotel for one night.

We've flown before, but had never taken an overnight train and it was all part of a great trip of new adventures. Yes, the compartment was a bit crowded, but certainly manageable, and the beds up top were comfortable and we had fun climbing up the ladders, laughing and talking before falling asleep. We actually got a decent amount of sleep that night and it was fun watching for the approach to Paris. There was a sink in the corner of the compartment and magazines for us to read. We vaguely remember putting in a breakfast order and having the conductor deliver breakfast to our room when we woke up as well. As I recall, we were surprised that that was included in the price. The kids should love it, assuming the berth numbers work out!

Why don't you call one of the trainpass companies and ask them to confirm the seating arrangement for you. I called them frequently with questions before purchasing my passes and tickets so maybe they would help you with this. They do have this info available to them, so if you get a helpful person, he/she might be able to put your mind at ease, or at least be able to give you some suggestions.

Apr 7th, 2007, 08:32 AM

I've done the overnight train to Venice-Paris and thought it was great. We had only a two person private compartment, so am not sure about your bed numbering question.

It was a wonderful experience, and I thought much more relaxing then the hassle of getting to/from & going thru two more airports in the middle of our trip. Train stations are located right in the middle of town; airports are not.

Take some snacks/dinner along with you. Are you going direct from Venice, or transfer at Milan (that's what we did)?
Apr 7th, 2007, 08:43 AM

ooh - my answer will change a bit if you are not taking the direct train from Venice to Paris!!! (I didn't consider anything except the direct route) Don't know how you could get a lot of sleep if you have to change trains!!! But...you would still avoid the hassle (if I may use that word now that it's been discussed above) of extra transportation to and from airports and would save on one night of hotel.

I still say go for the train!
Apr 7th, 2007, 09:09 AM

I assume these reservations are for two-berth sleeper compartments.
I used this train last month and all the sleeping cars had T3 compartments which can be configured to have one, two or three berths. The numbering is confusing, because of the various ways the compartments can be arranged. Berths 42 and 46 are in one compartment (if there were a third berth, it would be no. 44). Similarly, 11 and 15 are in one compartment. When you join the train, ask the attendant if you can have adjacent compartments: they can often swap bookings so that families can have adjacent compartments.
The night train is a very convenient way of getting from Venezia to Paris, unlike a flight at 0730 which would entail getting out of bed in the middle of the night to get to the airport on time.
Apr 7th, 2007, 09:14 AM

There are actually several flights during the day from VCE to Paris Orly, which couldn't be more convenient to Paris. 7:30am-all the way through the evening. If you take the 5:30pm flight (again only an hour and 10 min.) you pay 39.99 Euro for that flight as well.
Apr 7th, 2007, 10:14 AM

The plane might take an hour and ten minutes from one runway to the other, but the journey time from city centre to city centre will be a lot longer - at least four hours. The overnight train will maximise the time in Venezia and Paris.
Apr 7th, 2007, 10:19 AM

Hardly. I've done it, and it certainly didn't take me that long. You can leave from Venice Mestre, and be at VCE in more than 15 minutes, and that's rush hour-I just did it a little over a week ago. As for Orly, it's exactly 12 miles to Central Paris, i.e., very close. Jump in a cab, at any time other than rush hour, and you'll be there in 15 minutes.

Apr 7th, 2007, 12:15 PM

TTT..dig that hole, "dear."
Apr 8th, 2007, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. I'm usually pretty computer savvy.

Must be getting older (a gray moment) but I'm still confused about pricing with overnight trains.

What's the difference between 2nd class T3 Global Sleeper and 1st class Double Sleeper? If I make a reservation, I get the same coach car number and similar reserved place numbers?

And then, what is the difference between 1st class Single Sleeper (540E) and 1st class Double Sleeper (270E total)? The price is double for the Single Sleeper although I can reserve the same coach and cabin numbers.

Thanks for helping me with the search.

Since I screwed up - I'll ask this also on the other thread.

Thanks again!
Apr 8th, 2007, 12:44 PM

I'm no expert, but I think that double price is when you want to reserve a private 2-person cabin, but for only your 1-person self to use (i.e., you are buying both beds)?