Reload this Page >

Venice or Rome? Veneto vs Lazio?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 03:16 AM
Matt

If I had to choose between visiting Rome and its surroundings and Venice and its surroundings, which should I choose and why?

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 04:12 AM
jessica

This obviously depends on a few factors: how long will you be visiting, and what do you want to get out of your trip? <BR> <BR>Roma is jam-packed with things to see, from art to ruins to people. Depending on when you're going, Venezia can be just magical, though the "sightseeing" is really just about walking throughout this incredible landscape. You cannot imagine what it is like with no cars! Roma, on the other hand, is jam-packed with those, too. It's a big city atmosphere, whereas Venezia is just *different*, especially if you try to avoid tourists. If you do go, don't miss the islands of Murano (glass) and Burano (lace)--they are much quieter, where most of the people there actually live there (as opposed to Venezia). <BR> <BR>If you have other questions, or are interested in partaking in cultural adventures while you're there, send me an email. <BR> <BR>--jessica

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 06:05 AM
Matt

Thanks Jessica. I would spend 6 or 7 days in either place. Based on my research it looks like there is much more to do in Rome than Venice, but I keep hearing how wonderful, beautiful, and magical Venice is. I was just wondering if there was enough to do there and the surroundings to trump Rome.

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 06:15 AM
Mr. Go

Matt... <BR>Tomorrow I depart for my Rome/Venice experience. I'm allowing 11 nights for the whole thing. If you can swing a few more days, you may consider doing both too. Why? Because if you enjoy European travel, you will probably do both areas at some time anyway. Might as well pay only 1 airfare. Just a thought.

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 06:15 AM
Rex

Rome is very, VERY, very INTENSE. <BR> <BR>And at its two best hours of the day - - just at sunup, and at the last hour before you go to bed - - Venice is at the exact polar opposite end of the spectrum - - very, VERY, very quiet and peaceful - - thus, the name "La Serenissima". <BR> <BR>But you have really asked two questions - - about the two cities, and equally about their surrounding provinces. You might very well find the Veneto more fascinating than Lazio (but it's all a matter of what you find interesting). <BR> <BR>An argument can (should?) be made for at least two different locations, even with 6 or 7 days to spend - - half IN city, and half OUT. It rarely makes sense to pay IN-city (especially big expensive cities like Rome or Venice) lodging prices if what you want to see and do is outside those cities. And for both of these cities, it eats a lot of time just to move from center city to the outside for "day tripping". <BR> <BR>For me, it takes a while to adjust to Rome's intensity, and I recommend no LESS than three days/two nights. you MIGHT be able to get a good "taste" of Venice with as little as two (FULL) days and one overnight. <BR> <BR>Maybe that leaves no useful time for the countryside. Pity. <BR> <BR>Personally, I would make (more) time for traveling to Italy, somehow. A trip to Italy with more than 50% big city is unbalanced, in my opinion. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 06:24 AM
Matt

Rex, that's interesting what you said about the 50% city. What makes Rome so intense? And, how would you recommend I spend the other 50% of my time outside of a city, ie where? By the way, I live in Europe only 3 hours from the Italian border.

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 07:11 AM
carol

Read the recent post on "I Found Venice Underwhelming" to get a good sense of people's expectations and reactions to the reality of Venice. Rome is a big (relative to other cities in Italy)cosmopolitan city; Venice is unique and tiny. If you love large cities, choose Rome absolutely.

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 07:43 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Hello Matt, For me it is not about the entre but the side dishes. I agree with Rex that Rome is somewhat intense. But, the real variable here are the side attractions in Veneto. If you live in southern DE then I would I would add the Veneto and Trentino side dishes and take Venice as my entre.

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 08:20 AM
terry

One tip if you choose Rome... Location Location Location. In my experience people either love or hate Rome (I love it) and I've noticed that these feelings directly correspond to where they stay. Stay in the Centro Storico near Campo de Fiori/Piazza Navona - there are always so many people out and about in this area (yes tourists but lots of Italians too), there are tons of restaurants and it's very central, you can walk everywhere. <BR> <BR>I can't speak to Venice, never been. But I've been to Rome alot...

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 08:36 AM
nancy

Matt, <BR>Having only been to italy once <BR>(this past summer) <BR>I can not give advice as to Venice. <BR> <BR>Keep in mind, I grew up outside New York City, and attended High School there. <BR>but have spent the last 30 years in rural Vermont. <BR>So, it was with some trepidation that I thought of our 9 days in rome. <BR> <BR>ALL of us, husband, children and best friend, fell in love with the city. <BR>Yes, it is intense, but that is it's charm. <BR>I look at Rome as New York City in vibrancy and bustle, <BR>BUT, it comes without all the negative things I associated with N.Y.C. <BR> <BR>If I could explain it's charm in words, I would be a famous poet or writer. <BR>I can not explain it, but I just know I LOVED it. <BR> <BR>The Piazza Navona /Campo de fiori area reminded me of the Village and the Via Veneto area reminded me of 5th Ave. <BR>Both lovely, just different. <BR> <BR>Sorry, I have not really been a help, just waxed on about bella roma <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 09:40 AM
rob

Matt, <BR> <BR>Count me as a fervent Rome supporter as well. I visited both Venice and Rome this spring (though not the surrounding regions) and enjoyed both, but Rome just blew me away. <BR> <BR>The city has everything one could love in a cosmopolitan area: art, museums, incredible food, great people, wonderful atmosphere, history, history, and, oh yeah, more history. Rome is not the "Eternal City" for nothing. It really is the most remarkable place I have ever visitited. In fact, my girlfriend and I are going back for a couple of weeks in October because we fell so hard for the place. <BR> <BR>As for Venice, it is very charming and beautiful. On the other hand, after spending a couple of days there I was glad to leave. There's just not as much to do there, and the canals didn't seem quite as magical to me after a few days. <BR> <BR>On a final note, and this may not be an issue, I found Venice considerably more expensive than Rome. <BR> <BR>Hope this helps, <BR> <BR>Rob

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 12:28 PM
Janda

I would say give Rome a few days and concentrate on Venice.It is pure magic.

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 06:11 PM
Just back

Matt, I just got back from Italy and am glad I saw Venice, and found it far from magical. The canal water there is probably 50% sewage which adds to the wonderful aroma. On the other hand, I loved Rome! There is so much to do and the transportation is wonderful. As a side note on the transportation: Buy a subway ticket and don't validate it.