venice or rome for first time Italy travelers

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2012, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning a trip to Italy in October. We are arriving in Rome on October 24th and leaving on November 3rd. We are having a hard time deciding on Venice or Rome. We want to spend the majority of time in Tuscany visiting the small towns and winery's. The plan was originally fly into Rome on Wed. am then on to Florence on Friday and Sat. then on to other parts of Tuscany for the rest of the trip. leaving for Rome on the 2nd then flying out the morning of the 3rd, It seems terrible to be in Italy and not see Venice but just didn't think we had time. Some day would love to return and see the Amalfi coast but who knows when that would be. Any suggestions about sticking with our original plan or nix Rome and fly into Venice and save Rome for the next if ever trip to the Amalfi coast? Thank you, kathy
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 06:14 PM

Have you given any thought to an open jaw ticket -fly into one city (Venice) and fly out of Rome. Even if you spend only one night in Venice, at least you have gotten to see it. Others will advise against it I'm sure, saying you can come back, but will you? I would say Venice first because if you arrive in the early morning you can have that day and part of the next before you take a late afternoon train to Florence.
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 06:17 PM

Our family adores Venice, really likes Florence and finds Rome interesting. So, if it was me, I would opt for Venice above all. It is so unique. Florence has wonderful art and is easy to get around the sights. Rome has wonderful monuments & art but not so easy to get around.
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 06:39 PM

>>It seems terrible to be in Italy and not see Venice<<

Which city would you feel more terrible for not seeing: Rome or Venice?
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 06:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i would stay in rome. there is just so much to see and do in rome that you could spend two weeks there and still want to go back for more.

i love venice, but venice is not as glorious as rome.

venice can be very touristy.

thin
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 06:58 PM

I think your original itinerary is fine. If you must arrive and depart through Rome, I would adjust you itinerary slightly to avoid one hotel change and put all your Rome night together.

Wed, Oct 24 - arrive Rome, travel to Florence; sleep Florence
Thu, Oct 25 - Florence
Fri, Oct 26 - Florence
Sat, Oct 27 - to Tuscany countryside location
Sun, Oct 28 - Tuscany
Mon, Oct 29 - Tuscany
Tue, Oct 30 - Tuscany to Rome
Wed, Oct 31 - Rome
Thu, Nov 1 - Rome
Fri, Nov 2 - Rome
Sat, Nov 3 - fly home
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 06:59 PM

Venice vs. Rome, it depends on what you want to see, and what's drawing you to Italy, and to those two places. I think both are wonderful, in their own different ways.

One thing to consider is aqua alta in Venice, when the waters rise and can make getting around a bit difficult. I think that generally happens November-March, and it's not a reason to not go to Venice, but something to keep in mind.

For me, Rome means lots of ancient sites to visit, churches and art from a variety of periods, and a big, vibrant city (sometimes noisy too). Venice is beautiful everything, lots of art and architecture, but mostly to be enjoyed by walking, walking around.

You can never see it all (whatever "all" is), on any trip. Be merciless with yourselves, and limit your time to either the north or the south.
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 07:29 PM
kja

IMO, ellenem suggested a decent option for tweaking your original plan. Trying to fit in another destination will mean losing a chunk of time - at least 1/2 day in each direction, and whatever time you allot to your added destinatation. So if you try to add Venice, you would only be able to do so by sacrificing quite a LOT of time in these other places. And IMO, you're already giving Florence and Rome short shrift. But only you can decide what you want to do. At least you'll get some glimpses of glorious places no matter what you decide.

Hope that helps!