Italy Feedback (Rome, Venice, Florence)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29th, 2003, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm starting to think that I need to adjust a portion of my trip to Italy. I have a week in Italy that I can't budge on. From there I go to Florence for two nights, then to Venice for two more, then back to Rome for two more.

I think I have two options:
1. Drop a day off Florence and add to Venice. It's a short trip from Rome to Florence via train (2 hours right?) so I'll have a full day on the day of arrival, plus whatever time is left on the second day before heading to Venice. It's about a six hour train to Venice (right?) so on the day I arrive in Venice I'll have killed most of it enroute.

2. Drop one of the days in Rome and add it to Venice. That gives me less time to relax in Rome before returning home, but I'd be willing to do it.

Any suggestions on this or on routing? Should I go to Venice first then Florence? I love these tough decisions!
Old Apr 29th, 2003, 06:56 PM

Florence to Venice is more like 3 to 3.5 hours. If you got an early, but not crack-of-dawn, train you'd be there by lunch. You return trip from Rome to Venice is the bigger concern--that will be the six-hour train ride.

I assume that you meant to say that you have a week in ROME (not Italy) and then the two nights in Florence, two in Venice, two in Rome again. I'd cut a night off Rome at the end and give it to Venice as you suggest, just because I suspect you won't want to leave Venice. You will be returning to Rome just to finish up. If you get an early train, you could still have part of the afternoon and evening for last-minute shopping.
Old Apr 29th, 2003, 07:09 PM
Original Poster

Oops. You're right. I did intend to say I have a week in Rome, not Italy. Good catch!
Old Apr 29th, 2003, 08:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Dear MD:

Add more time to Venice. You will love it and wish you had more time.

Good Luck,
Michelle
Old May 1st, 2003, 09:06 AM

I wouldn't change a thing. Your days in each of the cities sounds right on the money. BTW, good for you for keeping it to 3 cities! Many would try to cram in more and end up shortchanging themselves all around. Italy's not going anywhere.
Old May 1st, 2003, 09:23 AM

mdtravel- I am flying from Venice to Rome in Sept. the flight is only $150-.
You might want to check with a travel agent about booking a flight out of Venice to Rome, that way you can make the most of your time in Venice.
You really won't want to leave.
Fluffy
Old May 1st, 2003, 09:35 AM

ellenem is spot on again! If you already have the week in Rome, chop off that two days at the end, and add an extra on to Venice.
Don't worry, we all get addicted and go back for more when we can, anyway. So it's better to do a broadbrush, and see what things you might want to concentrate on the next time you go!
Old May 1st, 2003, 11:04 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Personally, I'd do your week in Rome and put all the rest into Venice, except to return Rome for your depature flight (that's just me, but I enjoy more time in less places). Only two days in Venice would make me crazy wanting more!