Venice or Amalfi Coast

Search

Venice or Amalfi Coast

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2008, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Venice or Amalfi Coast

We were in Italy in 06 and fell in love as we discovered Tuscany, but missed Venice and Rome.

This September we have 4 free days while on business in Rome and are trying to weigh the merits of two very different areas to head.

First option is Venice and the second option is the Amalfi Coast.

I love water so that always calls to me, but I am open to all options.

Where would you head and why?
Also what your thoughts are on train, driving Vs Flying?

Thanks in advance for all your wonderful expertise... and wisdom
Old Sep 1st, 2008, 11:08 AM
ira

Hi M,

Definitely Venice.

The AC is beautiful, but Venice is enchanting.

Take the train.

By the time you get out of the city, to the airport, go through security, wait for boarding, wait to deboard, get to the city, you aren't saving any time between Rome and Venice.

In addition, you can walk around on the train.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Sep 1st, 2008, 11:11 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi mez -

mmm - venice or amalfi, amalfi or Venice - hard choice.

given your time contraints, and the time of year, I'd opt for Venice, which you can see a lot of in 4 days, whereas you'll not really scratch the surface of the amalfi in that time.

however, Venice is pretty popular any time of year and you'd better get on with booking your accommodation pretty quickly. there are lots of recommendations on this thread if you put Venice into the search box.

if you are interested in reading my trip report from our week in Venice at Easter this year, you could also put in "annhig venice" and see what happens.

good luck and have a great trip,

regards, ann
Old Sep 1st, 2008, 04:04 PM

I have to make this decision, too, so I am interested in reading the replies. In 2010 we're planning on bringing our boys to Italy. We'll only have around 10 days, and I want to see Rome definitely, and not sure of the rest of the itinerary.

ann- tell me why 4 days is not enough in the AC. We will be lucky to have about 3 days.
Old Sep 1st, 2008, 04:18 PM

Amalfi Coast, hands down, for us. Especially in September
Old Sep 1st, 2008, 10:45 PM

My criteria could be the following.
If you rent a car, then Amalfi Coast; otherwise Venice by train (I agree that ES train is quite better than airplane).
For both destinations September is great choice.

Vincenzo
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 04:09 AM

Given only 4 days I'd say Venice because it's more straightfoward to get to. Depending on your exact destination, you could spend most of a day getting to the Amalfi Coast. (It took us 7.5 hours from Sant'Angelo on Ischia to Positano a couple of years ago !)

Both, obviously, have water
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 04:16 AM

I have to agree with the Venice folks and the train. (You can fly into Rome and out of Venice, btw-but perhaps your flight is already booked?)

Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

So... Grosseto to Venice by train and then return by plane into Rome - would that seem sane? (Yay! a Friday meeting in Rome canceled so we can leave direct from Grosseto!!!)

Venice is winning at the moment, it could be the thought of the singing gondaliers...

So with that in mind... what is THE most wonderful place to stay in Venice for that ONE romantic memorable night that won't break the bank???

You have all been so wonderful to respond - thank you so much!!!
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 01:26 PM

Given your time constraints, I agree with the others that Venice would probably be most feasible.

But in terms of preference, I would choose the Amalfi Coast hands down, especially if you are drawn to water. Venice is very special, but the AC is absolutely breathtaking and has many charming towns. Perhaps you can plan to go here on your next visit to Italy. We spent two weeks on the AC last year and weren't ready to leave...
Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 08:49 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi karen

<<have to make this decision, too, so I am interested in reading the replies. In 2010 we're planning on bringing our boys to Italy. We'll only have around 10 days, and I want to see Rome definitely, and not sure of the rest of the itinerary.

ann- tell me why 4 days is not enough in the AC. We will be lucky to have about 3 days.>>

ok, karen you could see something of the amalfi in 3 days, but there is soo much to see and do, you will only scrape the surface. and the traffic can be pretty horrendous so that it can take you longer to get around than you might think.

finally, the proximity to Naples [for museums and boats to capri] and Pompeii, and vesuvius, means that you need at least a week or so [2 would be better] to enjoy it all.

whereas you can see a lot of Venice in 3-4 days.

with 10 days and a desire to see Rome, I'd go for 4 days in Venice and 6 in Rome [with kids, renting apartments in both] or 5 in an agriturismo near Rome, and 5 in the city, depending on your family's preferences.

at a pinch you could do 5 on the amalfi coast and 5 in Rome.

regards, ann

Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 08:55 AM

Definitely Venice! (both are fab but you need longer on AC). Is money no object for the hotel?
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 04:55 AM
Original Poster

Juliea - money is always an issue - but so is romance!!!
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 05:25 AM

Great accommodations on the AC are mostly sold out in September.

Since both AC and Venice are great options, you might want to check out available accommodations and base your decision on that criteria. Either way, you can't go wrong.
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 06:02 AM

No question, Venice. It is unique in the whole world. Amalfi coast is lovely, but Venice is a wonder. And, better to see it sooner than later, as the water problems there will only get worse. The Amalfi coast will always be there. Enjoy the small piazzas too, inside Venice, and go to the small islands. You'll think you're in another century. As far as transport, the train is best. It's a long and not interesting drive unless you stop in small towns, and no reason to fly since the time is the same and you spend it in airports. Buon divertimento!
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 06:24 AM

I agree. On a scale of 10, the Amalfi Coast is an 8.5 and Venice is a 25.
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

Wow - a 25 Huh??

Can't wait...
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 06:42 AM
LJ

Me, too with the Venice for both mez23 and Karen...Venice is amazing and should not be missed for anyone.

If when Karen says 'bringing her boys', she means less than 16, then for sure Venice where there are many things to interest them. The breathtaking views of the AC are WAY less appreciated by boys of a certain age than you might imagine!

(just sign me "been there, done that...sigh)
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Don't you all wish we could play nicely in the sandbox all the time like we share on Fodors?? It would be fun to travel with wonderful folks like you - thanks again so much for investing in our holiday success. 6 days and counting now to lift off!
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 09:29 AM

The AC is beautiful and we really enjoyed our time there. Just as we've enjoyed our time in several other lovely coastal areas around the world.

Venice is a unique world treasure. There is no other place like it in the world. In spite of the tourist crowds and all the tourist kitsch on the main route along the Grand Canal and around P. San Marco--I would go to Venice.