Venice - One Way Car Rental

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2024, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be visiting Venice before heading to the Dolomites. After looking at train (bus/taxi) schedules, it looks like it would be easier and quicker to just rent a car. Jet lag is not an issue as we will have been in Venice for a few days. Anyone with experience of one-way car rental? Will not need the car once we arrive in Ortesei or Cortina.
Old Jan 30th, 2024, 08:51 AM

Public transport from Venice to Cortina d'Ampezzo or Ortisei is incredibly easy.
But I think that you will need a car if you stay at Cortina d'Ampezzo and want do visit neighbouring valleys
Old Jan 30th, 2024, 09:38 AM

Sounds like a plan! Renting a car from Venice to the Dolomites seems practical, given the schedule considerations. I haven't tried a one-way rental there, but it could save time. Just check for any extra fees. Enjoy your time in Venice and the Dolomites
Old Jan 30th, 2024, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

Neckervd - thanks for the encouragement on public transport. I haven't traveled internationally in so long, I'm kinda rusty at planning. We're meeting friends who will have a car to use.
Shanibaba - after posting, I looked further into car rental -- it's crazy expensive for 1 way.

Old Jan 30th, 2024, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by jill_h
Neckervd - thanks for the encouragement on public transport. I haven't traveled internationally in so long, I'm kinda rusty at planning. We're meeting friends who will have a car to use.
Shanibaba - after posting, I looked further into car rental -- it's crazy expensive for 1 way.
Not to mention, there might be a one way drop off fee (not sure if that is already figured in).

Take a look at Trenitalia's website. IIRC, you can have savings if you're able to book in advance. Also check out seat61.com - fantastic resource for train travel.
Old Jan 30th, 2024, 12:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm lazy, sono pigro
I start with Rome2rio
Then I look at trenitalia or the local bus company identified by r2r to confirm the options.
Then and only then do I consider a car in Italy
Public transport in Italy, especially northern Italy is so good.
seat61.com for gen advice
Old Jan 30th, 2024, 01:45 PM

If you do rent the car, which I would do, the drop-off charge should not be much....it's within Italy. We usually do that, rent a car and drive a route that takes us from one location rot the other, stopping along the way and usually returning at an airport. I don't remember any crazy fees. Try AutoEurope.com, they are brokers that deal with a number of rental agencies--Avis, Hertz, Sixt, etc
Old Jan 30th, 2024, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

Car rental showed to be ~$350 for one day!!! I stopped at that point.
Old Jan 30th, 2024, 06:51 PM

Received 28 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jill_h
Car rental showed to be ~$350 for one day!!! I stopped at that point.
Car rentals have become more expensive but this doesnt sound right. Where are you searching and what are your parameters? What are your precise pickup and drop locations ? Manual or Automatic? All this impacts pricing. Run a search on AutoEurope, pick one of the mainstream agencies (Europcar, Avis, Hertz, etc) with your likely dates and desired insurance coverage (I usually take full protection). I just picked some random dates in June pickup Venice (airport/mestre/pzle romaare alternatives) drop Bolzano and rentals were under 100€ per day.
Old Jan 31st, 2024, 05:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks ANUJ, I’ll double check. I’ve looked and clicked so many places, my head is spinning
Old Jan 31st, 2024, 05:41 AM

Absolutely does not sound right....what kind of car did you search for? On which website? What transmission--manual or automatic?
Old Jan 31st, 2024, 06:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't know if that number is correct, but a one-day, one-way rental will be expensive for what it is...

FWIW, I would want a car for the entire time in the Dolomites.

What time of year?
Old Jan 31st, 2024, 07:44 AM

Car rental is too expensive there, more than 400$ for one day !
Old Jan 31st, 2024, 03:33 PM
Original Poster

Jean - we will be with friends who have a car in the dolomites.

ekscrunchy - I don't recall exact website for car rental, but googled one-way car rental and from point a to point b and it came up to EXPENSIVE. I plan to do more research.
Old Jan 31st, 2024, 04:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Here's the bus timetable... current through March 31, 2024, so you'll have to check back.

Right now, the one-way fare from Piazzale Roma to Cortina on the early departure is 14,60 euros and on the other two departures it's 20,00 euros.

https://www.atvo.it/allegati/linee/l...1.03.24_v5.pdf