Venice nightlife and restaurants

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2009, 07:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be in Venice for 3 nights in early October, with my sister. All of the previous post on this topic are a minimun of 4 years old. We'd like to have one very nice dinner while we're there. We also plan on (I'm still trying to talking my DS into it) going to see one of the evening classical concerts.

From what I gather on this site, Venice really doesn't have much of a nightlife and the restaurants don't stay open too late. But, if you have any favorite haunts or discovered some jems (lunches, included), please share. Thanks!
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 09:30 PM

Oct 2005... just dug out my 'stuff'... all the receipts/memorbilia I meant to 'scrapbook'. OK, so I'm a pack-rat and save all this in a box, with pics, postcards, etc - it's fun to revisit your old trips this way! I'm learning this while planning my 3rd trip to N. Italy in 7 yrs.

Concert: Fabulous atomosphere, amazing music = exactly what I dreamed of for 17EU. We were still using our student ID's back then, so regular price was probably 20 EU. I recall booking this ahead of time, but seeing posters all over the city that told me I didn't need to. I do remember, however, trying to find a place to eat after, and being turned away by half a dozen places before one took us in. Even then they handed us a menu while standing and said 'order, cooks want to go home'. It was either 8:45 or 9:45 at night...

Program says: http://www.prgroup.it/ Ensemble/Vivaldi is the one we went to & I would recommend.
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 09:38 PM

I read the thread title & thought to myself 'wow, Venice+Nightlife? I need to follow this one... then I remembered I'd been there twice and had seen nightlife only once, with performers in Cannaragio... but some would consider a drink or wander thru St. Marks Sq nightlife in VCE, or a front row Vaporetto ride down the GC.

In Oct, I will seek out the Irish Pub in Cannaregio, as we had a blast on our first trip. I don't know it's name, but someone here will, and it is worth an evening.

In 2002 we made friends with 2 Venetians who were someone in the art world... we were clueless engineer/psych grads who had never taken an art class - it made the experience that much more priceless because to us they were only fun, outgoing beerdrinkers. One took us to his home @ closing time (1AM) and showed us 'how the Venetians live' - his wording.

Obviously a great experience to see how his 1st floor was acqua alta proofed... to see the sausage hanging to age... and in silly American fashion I remember thinking the dishwasher seemed very odd... Once I learned that was the washer and no dryer existed due to lack of space, I understood the glorious freedom of rural/suburban spacious life I knew daily. it was a neat experience for many reasons, and maybe 7 years later I'll find the same fellas on the bench in the pub!
Old Sep 1st, 2009, 04:34 PM

Not sure where OP went, but no more comments on Venice nightlife!?
Old Sep 1st, 2009, 05:28 PM

If you click on my name, you can pull up my trip report from last year, there is a section on Venice you might find helpful.

Johanna