Sia

Venice Marathon

12 weeks of training to go...anyone else going to run it?<BR>Ciao<BR>Sia

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 10:18 PM
ttt

ttt

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 07:14 AM
todd

.<BR>Only 80 days left to train .... http://www.venicemarathon.it<BR><BR>Sia,<BR>Have you run in the Venice Marathon before?<BR>

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 02:11 AM
Sia

Todd- This is my first marathon, I'm really looking forward to it. Some people are telling me after the first I'll be hooked- I insist that I can stop this running thing anytime! Th course is supposed to be beautiful...<BR>Sia

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 07:01 AM
dean

We were in Venice when the marathon was run a couple of years ago. The course was very amazing including a bridge over the canal to the Salute as I remember it. I can't imaging a more beautiful place to run. Then again, we didn't run but were enjoying a gelato from Nico as we watched the others do the running!

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 07:02 AM
dean

I realized that I did not explain the bridge comment.... the bridge was condstructed by laying a running surface over a string of boats tied side by side over the canal. It was really quite spectacular. I beleieve they do the same thing for the feast of the Redentore as well.

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 12:44 PM
todd

Venice is so small that I realized the marathon course must start somewhere on the mainland. And it the Venice Marathon website, they describe the course:<BR><BR>"Start takes place in Stra, a small town a few kilometers east of Padova. At the end of the long starting stretch, the road slowly bends on the left, in front of the monumental fa&ccedil;ade of Villa Pisani, the first of the beautiful mansions of the Brenta riverside.<BR><BR>Course follows National Road N.11, leaving the river on the right, and running through the small towns of the Riviera : Fiesso d'Artico, Dolo, Mira (10th km) and Oriago. Then, the road and the river turn right heading to Malcontenta (20th km).<BR><BR>Runners are now near Marghera industrial area, which is quickly passed to enter the center of Mestre (25th km). After running for 5 kilometers in the heart of the city, course makes its way towards Venice, with long flat stretches, broken by only one short overpass.<BR><BR>Venice skyline, with its countless bell towers, already appears on the horizon, at the end of the never-ending five-kilometer-long Ponte della Libert&agrave; (i.e. Bridge of Freedom). Probably, this is the most challenging section of the entire race, where athletes' psychological strenght is heavily tested, and where leading runners usually make their moves to win.<BR><BR>At the end of the bridge there are 2 kilometers inside the port-area, then begins the most spectacular and exciting stage of the race. From here there is no more tar: you'll be running over cobblestone, overpassing, one by one, the 13 bridges which created the Venicemarathon legend.<BR><BR>You face the long Zattere stretch, keeping the Giudecca Canal on the right and taking advantage of the slope of the bridges - there are 5 of them in this section - to speed up your run. All of a sudden, the course turns left, among the houses and in a moment you are in front of the Grand Canal, while going round S. Maria della Salute church. You head to Punta della Dogana and climb the short ramp leading on the pontoon bridge.<BR><BR>On the other side of the Grand Canal, new energy pushes you between two wings of crowd, as you take a quick look at St. Mark's Square, on your left. At the end of Palazzo Ducale is time to climb the large steps of Ponte della Paglia - the only bridge without ramps - always spurred by the fans' cheers.<BR><BR>There are only 5 bridges left, but nothing can stop you now. You follow the gentle bend rightwards of the Gran Canal, leaving Riva degli Schiavoni, Riva Ca' di Dio - where the finish line was between 1991 and 1995 -, and Riva San Biagio behind you...<BR><BR>...then you run downhill the last bridge, trying to increase the pace, asking an ultimate effort to your body, your eyes stuck on the time under the finish banner, at the center of Riva dei Sette Martiri."<BR> * * * * * *<BR>Sia, Will look forward to reading about your experiences when you return. <BR>

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 12:45 PM
Melissa

Sia, as one who is about to do my 10th marathon, I can honestly say you WILL get hooked. Sure, after you cross the finish line you may say, "OK, I've done it. I don't need to do any more." But time will pass, and you will suddenly be itching to do another one, and then another. And, you will be hooked on travelling to do marathons.<BR><BR>Good luck on this marathon!

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 02:30 PM
Grandma

We were in Venice in '99 the weekend of the marathon... (but were unaware it was on the schedule.!!)We were staying at the Metropole and thought HOW NICE!... they've finally put up ramps to help us over the bridges with our luggage. The day of the marathon we checked out of the hotel and were merrily trotting down the ramps when we realized everybody was screaming at us. Got off just in time to avoid the frontrunners (embarrassing...????)Anyhow, there was acqua alta that day and we saw runners slip and fall. Too bad we weren't there for the finish.<BR>We're just a block from the NYC marathon route and I'm always impressed when the surge of runners comes down a hill on First Ave. How many runners take part in the Brenta marathon?

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 03:00 AM
Sia

Not sure how many people are going to run this one- I have heard it is Italy's biggest. I will certainly post about the results- hoping that it's dry that day and cool. Heard the worst part is the long bridge over to Venice...can't wait! Thanks for your words of support...<BR>Ciao<BR>Sia