Venice Leon Bianco location

Mar 13th, 2001, 04:55 AM
Sue

Venice Leon Bianco location

Sorry if this is redundant but can't find my post and assume it went nowhere.Booked at Leon Bianco but didn't realize it's in Cannaregio where travel books say is far from San Marco and local sites.If anyone's stayed there, can you please comment on location.How far to walk to San Marco square?Any problem with safety and walking back from San Marco at night? We're only staying 2 nights so I'd like to be centrally located to see whatever we can.ALso one book said Strada Nuova is filled with t-shirt shops and not too attractive.What's the neighborhood like?

Mar 13th, 2001, 02:02 PM
Teresa

I stayed at Leon Bianco in January. Look at my post 'Back from Rome, Florence, & Venice, Italy and ....' My favorite hotel during my 3 week trip in Italy and Spain. Venice is small. You can walk across from the hotel to San Marco in 20 min or less. If you don't like to walk it's near a waterbus stop and you can take that to San Marco. I was with my boyfriend during the whole time and never felt unsafe. Even if I was alone, I wouldn't feel unsafe. The neighborhood is the same as in other parts of Venice, close buildings and full of little shops.

Mar 26th, 2001, 06:59 AM
l

I know the feeling about 'losing one's thread' . As a matter of fact, i tried responding to this three times and lost all three postings somehow! Leon Bianco is a very nice hotel. Good location. Our room overlooked the grand canal and we could see the rialto bridge off to the side. stayed there in november and would definitely consider the hotel again for our next trip. Central enough, It is owned by a mother, father and son - have a floor in this old palace - about eight rooms or so, if my memory serves me correctly. They were very hospitable and pleasant. Our room was very large and again, can't remember what we paid but it was very reasonable. Breakfast is served in your room with two large floor to ceiling windows overlooking the canal. Last time I stayed in venice i was in a shoebox for top dollar. The only negative thing i can mention is that the entrance alley (which is a bit difficult to find) leading up to the hotel is somewhat unnattractive. You wonder what you're getting yourself into. But once you get into the building, everything is fine after that. It does have two large staircases going up the hotel floor if that poses a problem to the traveller. (My friend took it slow, and it did not deter us from liking the hotel). It was great waking in the morning and watching the boats travelling up and down the canal with supplies and deliveries. It is right across the canal from the market. I have heard from someone on this forum that if you take the water taxi, they can open up their doors on the canal and let you in on the water side. Definitely a good place to stay and good value for your money.

Mar 26th, 2001, 08:10 AM
Mariarosa

Hi Sue! My husband and I stayed at the Leon Bianco in early March (I posted a brief report when we got back - around March 19). We also had a lovely room overlooking the Grand Canal. The staff is very charming and helpful, and if you can overlook the 2.5 flight walk-up, and the shower that you have to hop to get in, I think it is great value for the beautiful room and view.

I think Cannaregio might be the largest of the Venice sestieres - it certainly appeared that way, as it exptends all the way from the train station and the Jewish ghetto to (I think, someone correct me on this) the Rialto bridge. The Leon Bianco is located between the Ca d'Oro and the Rialto stop (but closer to the Ca d'Oro stop, it was only a couple of minutes to the Leon Bianco).

So you can see the exact location of it on a Venice map, the following URL is for restaurants in Venice. The Leon Bianso is located next to the Ca da Mosto - locate restaurant #33 on this map and you will get a good idea of where the Leon Bianco is:
http://www.frommers.com/images/desti...nicedining.jpg

We walked a great deal in Venice - it was so lovely. We walked to San Marco (15-20 minutes if you take the direct route). We had a 3-day Vaporetto ticket, which we used frequently, especially if we had been walking the whole day and were tired. Additionally, "sights" are every where in Venice!

Enjoy your trip!

Mar 26th, 2001, 10:20 AM
Sue

Thanks so much for your help-and multiple attempts!- and making me feel good about decision.Glad you liked it so much.I'll use map you provided so shouldn't be so tricky to find.Thanks again.

Mar 26th, 2001, 10:28 AM
sandi

Sue,

Also on the Leon Bianco's website they give really good directions on how to find them. Don't let the ugly alley outside the entrance scare you. It's a beautiful hotel insode. Say "hello" to Andrea (Andrew) for all of us!

Jul 24th, 2001, 08:33 AM

ditto (the search engine is working today)

Dec 4th, 2001, 05:27 AM
Mariarosa

Topping for Yeung!