Dress code for Paris ballet

Dec 3rd, 2001, 11:29 AM
GGinSF

Dress code for Paris ballet

I will be attending the ballet next week at the Palais Garnier (Paris' main opera house). For men, is jacket and tie most appropriate? What about tie with a dressy sweater (I don't want to pack a nice blazer unless necessary)?

London theatre is pretty low key dress-wise these days, but I imagine ballet & opera in Paris is more up-scale. Correct?

Dec 3rd, 2001, 11:34 AM
Christina

no, not correct, at least not when I've been there which has been in summer. I think the regular season can be a little dressier, but when I was there anything was seen (unfortunately). I think the jacket and tie would be best but think you can get by with the tie and nice sweater unless it's some special gala event. If it's a regular performance, I think it's fine (now, what coat are you wearing? that should cover it up anyway, please don't say a ski parka -- ha ha, I had a male friend who did wear a ski parka out to nice events)

Dec 3rd, 2001, 11:43 AM
GGinSF

A ski parka? Of course not. I've got a worn Army surplus jacket!

For outside I'll be bringing a nice, grey London Fog trench coat (but I'll be checking that in the lobby).

Dec 3rd, 2001, 02:04 PM
Laura

When we were at the Palais Garnier, the people were very, very dressed up. Before then, I had only seen men in tails, top hats and white silk mufflers in the movies! And the women were dripping in fur and jewels. HOWEVER, we went on a night that was a special gala event (we did not know this before we got there). Because of that, I was extremely thankful that we had dressed up. I wore a cocktail dress, my husband wore a suit and tie.

You might want to keep this in mind too -- even though a little more casual attire is perfectly acceptable, the Palais Garnier EXUDES class and beauty and it just feels good to dress the part!

I vote for the coat and tie!

Dec 3rd, 2001, 02:06 PM
hillbilly american

Sounds as if I'll need to wash my jeans and t-shirt for this one!

Dec 3rd, 2001, 02:26 PM
cdf

GG--Correct, my husband wore a tie and jacket,thought about just wearing a black turtleneck with the jacket, but was happy he wore the tie.I wore a black silk pants suit,with a long black coat.Can you tell we are from NY?lots of blackSome people wore very formal clothes but most wore the same kind of thing we did...there might have been one or two, young back packer types in jeans and sweaters, but that was fine-they didn't have the clothes but the ballet meant enough to them to go dressed however they could..By the way-we saw the William Forsythe, it was wonderful,who are you seeing? Have fun!!

Dec 3rd, 2001, 04:43 PM
Fred

Tie and jacket is fine as is jacket with shirt or sweater as is shirt and sweater or just shirt. You'll see everything. Depends on what you'd be comfortable in. For more Paris information e-mail me: [email protected]

Dec 4th, 2001, 07:02 AM
GGinSF

Thanks for the responses. Although it sounds like a sweater would be OK, I think I will wear blazer and tie (an extra excuse to go to nicer restaurants, too!). After seeing pictures of the inside of the Palais I'll feel more comfortable dressing to match it's elegance (OK, no coat & tails...).

I'm seeing the Ballet de Paris Opera's Hommage to Boris Kochno, a Russian who was very influencial with the Paris Ballet. The program includes a one act opera-buffo w/ music by Stravinsky, a ballet choreographed by Balanchine (one of my favorites) & music by Prokofiev, and a ballet based on a Bertold Brecht piece with music by Kurt Weill. Sounds like a very eclectic program.

Dec 4th, 2001, 07:33 AM
cdf

I am GREEN with envy-have a wonderful time~C