Search

VENICE,ITALY

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7th, 2004, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VENICE,ITALY

Looking to spend New Years in Venice, any ideas for hotels?????
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 08:39 PM
rex

Without providing "us" a price range, you'e apt to find what you want best by skimming www.venere.com yourself. You can easily check availabilty and price there.

Bonvechiati, Ala, Pensione Accaemmia Villa Maravege - - there are three good names; different styles, different locations, different price ranges. All have received favorable comments here. The "top ten" list for Venice might or night nor include any of the three of em.

Eye of the beholder (and wallet, too) makes a difference.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 08:46 PM

I think you should book as quickly as possible.

Other sites besides Venere to consider (of many):
http://www.hotels.de
http://www.ryanairhotels.com
http://www.ratestogo.com
http://www.orbitz.com
http://www.hotelclub.net
http://www.gtahotels.com
Old Dec 8th, 2004, 07:59 AM
rex

Very interesting, Will... - - this is the first time that I have ever seen anyone mention ryanairhotels.com (though I note now that you and others hae mentioned it a half dozen times in the past few months).

For Venice specifically - - it's better than I expected, showing some interior pictures nd maps in context - - but it still does not permit seaching <i>by sestreiere</i> for example, nor does it provide that &quot;orientation&quot; map up front like Venere. It also lists the cheapest up front, which means that on the first &quot;page&quot; (of 8), all but one of the choices are in Mestre or on the Lido, for example. A bad way to steer a newbie.

Still, it's an ineresting new tool, and I would urge using it AND Venere.

I am curious who has had atual experience using this website. Any problems with your reservation after you arived? Any experiences with cancellation. Venere has <i>never</i> failed me on a cancellation, which I deem very important. Provides the fredom to &quot;bag&quot; a room while you are till learning about the possibilities (and awaiting the possible appearance of special rates).
Old Dec 8th, 2004, 08:10 AM

veniceby.com seems to have lots of photos.

I spent NYE there 2 years ago (at Pensione Accademia). There was aqua alta on Jan 2 (with water rising on the 1st when we were leaving). Area most subject to flooding is San Marco, so, for what it's worth, you might prefer to stay a bit away from there. Also will be a bit less busy. Dorsudoro (where P. Accademia, La Calcina, Ca Pisani, Gallerai hotels are) is a popular sestieri for.

We had a fabulous if pricey evening at Scala Martini (anticomartini.com) that included live music and dancing, a multi course dinner and all wines. Many of the larger hotels have &quot;galas&quot; that night (that I recall were all pricier than where we went). The Metropole is a nice hotel that I recall had quite an elaborate affair.

What's your budget and what kind of night are you looking for?
Old Dec 8th, 2004, 08:12 AM

Rex, I'll know better when I arrive in Venice in a few weeks, but the hotel says the reservation through Ryanairhotels.com is fine. It's true you can't restrict by area as much as I would like (although you can exclude airport and suburbs). I got a single room in a 3* hotel, with good reviews, in Cannaregio, for 47.50 Euros per night, including breakfast and all charges for Dec. 27-31.
Old Dec 8th, 2004, 08:15 AM

That's a prepaid rate with some cancellation fees (depending on various factors).
Old Dec 8th, 2004, 08:36 AM

Checked luxurylink.com to see if there were any interesting Venice auctions. There's a 3 day stay at the Grand Hotel Dei Doge that includes a few minor things (bottle of prosecco, tickets to the Gugenheim, breakfast) Minimum bid is $685. You'd have to check to see if they have vacancy for the dates you'd want. This hotel is not very central but very nice and they have a free boat that runs regularly back/forth to San Marco.
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 03:13 PM

We just returned from Italy (Thanksgiving week). Based on Fodorites posts we stayed at the Locanda Orseolo. It was absolutely one of the best places I have ever stayed in my life!!!

The rooms were cute, mid-size and very clean. The bathrooms were good size. The location was perfect - right behind St Mark's Square.

Best of all were the owners Barbara, Matteo and Bruno. Matteo and Bruno are brothers. Barbara is Matteo's fiance (they are getting married in January).

They went way over and above to make sure everything was great. They made it a point to know the name of every guest and always took the time to chat when we arrived home for the day. They all spoke perfect English. Most of the guests seem to be American.

They recommended very good resturaunts, a concert and a place for us to find a gondola (we couldn't find anyplace open as it was a bit cold). The posed with Flat Stanley (who was travelling with us - it's the 3rd Flat Stanley has visited them).

Best of all was Matteo's home cooked breakfast!! He made me chocolate crepes - very yummy. There was also a buffet but he made several items to order (John had a veggie omlet).

The hotel lobby and sitting room was really cute. There is a dock for a water taxi (we had to leave for the airport really early so this was important to us). The hotel was pretty small (I forget how many rooms in total but I want to guess about 15-20).

We left on a Monday so there were several people at breakfast on Sunday who were off to the airport. It was very touching to see them all hug and kiss Barbara and Matteo good bye, thank them and promise to return someday. Some people even got a bit teary eyed.